The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well until i figure out which exaust i want to run..and get some money next pay check... i couldnt stand having the muffler on my truck anymore. So i cut the muffler off and welded in a 3 1/2 pipe in its place... and i must say it was LOUD.... Almost too loud! My question is.... is removing the stock muffler Realy helping anything other than making it a big noise machine??? I dont have Guages yet so i cant tell if my Egt's are lower or not. Im running a sniper chip on the 100hp setting and i dont want to tear anything up. Guages are on the way and that sniper is out the door.. Going to look into a DP Tuner! Anyone know anything bad about taking out the muffler?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this until I get the money for a full system too. I know a Walker BTM is recomended over the stock, and I'm thinking it has to do with the noise. I have the DP 80hp tow tune and I love it. If you are looking for something else cheap, go to Napa and get a 6637 or FIL6637 and a 6" section of 4" mufler pipe. That gives you the DIY intake to go along with your exhaust.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought my truck about a year ago and it came with straight pipes and dual exhaust so I don't know any different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I added the tymar air cleaner (whoo/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gifooosh)and a 6 position DI chip GoGoGo>>> I just added gauges last week and I would say that the chip by far is the best bang for the buck that you'll find. I rarely tow a trailer so I run the twisty knob in extreme (make/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gifsmoke)almost all the time (it's verrrry addictive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). My EGT is never over 900 yet but it's so fast that I don't keep my foot in it for very long either. I Know it's loud but I don't think it's as loud as one of those 6 cylinder dodge thingys, cummins or somethin like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
434 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My question is.... is removing the stock muffler Realy helping anything other than making it a big noise machine???

[/ QUOTE ]

~1 to 2 MPG increase with good tuning....That was what I saw with TS tuning...If you think a straight pipe is loud, try the 5" stacks...hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif But if you dump the fuel get ready for the EPA on your mailing list.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts