The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told that whenever the bearings/bushings go out in a turbo, fine particle of metal and other junk go into the high pressure oil system. This means you must change the oil when you replace the turbo so that the fine particles of trash and metal do not keep circulating through the high pressure oil system which may cause injectors, the high pressure oil pump, the new turbo, etc. to go out.

Where can I find reliable information that supports this claim?

· Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
It wouldn't be a bad idea to but before the turbo goes out completely it is going to be leaving fine particles of metal before you even know that it is on its way out. So how long have you been running it that way before you knew it. Then you have the fine particles in the oil already and through the system. Also you will never get all the oil out of one of these trucks unless you do a complete tear down, there is possibly at least a quart of oil through the high pressure oil system even with the pan dry. So I would change the turbo and then the oil, I might even suck the oil out of the HPOP and not worry about it further. But if you are really anial change the oil filter after a few hundred miles.

Jim

· Registered
504 Posts
:thumbsup:I would not worrie about it. But if you feel safer about it then yes change the oil and filter. :thumbsup:

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Long story short, I had a turbo go out on my truck in Brownfield, TX (near Lubbock)just before Christmas. The shaft could easily be moved anyway you wanted to move it. The Ford dealership there replaced the turbo. Within 452 miles, two injectors, the new turbo, and the high pressure oil pump went out. All at different times in the course of 452 miles. The dealership claims that there was no benefit to changing the oil after replacing the turbo.

However, I have had 3 mechanics, including a a Ford dealership mechanic and a certified diesel mechanic tell me that it is a MUST that the oil be changed to prevent as much contaminated oil as possible from going through the engine. All of the items that went out within 452 miles are linked to the high pressure oil system.

I need to find some reliable info so that I can try to get some of my money back. After the first turbo went out, I ended up spending another $3300 when I am told the dealership should have changed the oil after the first turbo was put in.

I need something in black and white to support the claim that it is standard practice to change the oil when the turbo goes out like mine did? Any professional information would greatly be appreciated.

· Registered
5 Posts
Turbo Going Out

When the bearings and all go out in a turbo, do you get a metal on metal sound at start up? I get like an aluminum sound clanging at start up on my 03 7.3 excursion. Anyone? I changed the oil and it was really thick.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you will know it when the turbo goes out. Very loud screeching if bearings go out - extreme loss of power if it stops working - believe me - you will know if the turbo goes out. If the bearings are that lose, you would hear it for only a short time until it blows apart. Once metal to metal contact occurs, the fan blades in the turbo break immediately because of the high RPMs of the turbo. The Metal on metal sound could be almost anything - if it is only at startup - may be the starter bolts lose, starter hanging up, etc????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.