The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suddenly started getting stalls, both while driving and while idling. The good folk here suggested I read the codes; I finally located a Superchips reader, pulled the banks chip off the computer and got a P0344 (CPS circ itermn). While I was waiting for the Ford dealer to get in a new CPS, I couldn't get the silly thing to stall out.

Replaced CPS, cleared codes, slapped the chip back in, and put the e-brake assembly back in place, happy as a lark to shoot out for my test run. Sure enough, within a couple of miles it stalled out.

While sitting beside the road, with key on, Check Engine Light illuminates.

Key in start position, no WTS light.

With key on, funny buzzing noise comes from under the hood. By the time I could get the hood open, the buzzing noise stops--but I "think" it may have been coming from the area of the engine block. When the buzzing stopped, I ran around up front, hit the key, and sure enough, started right up.

Drove for the barn, and a couple of blocks from home, stalled out again. Same symptoms as before, and after a few minutes, was able to start up and drive two blocks, and while backing into the driveway, stalled out again. This time it started immediately, thank goodness, I hate to have to get help shoving the durn thing off the road.

Next morning I pulled the e-brake and Banks chip out to read the codes. This time I get P1111 (Sys Pass, No DTCs Available).

I left the chip out, and took it out for a long test drive, fast, slow, stops and goes, corners, the works, and it runs fine, no stall. It's in the driveway running as a write this, been running good for nearly an hour.

Is it possible the Banks chip is acting up? I'm sure the chip was secured well when I first pulled it out, and I taped the thing in tight when I replaced it. How does one go about getting a chip tested if this could be the issue?

Your learned thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
You answered it yourself. Leave the chip out and see what happens.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's the chip. I just went through this problem myself. Mine was an old Hypermax chip, so it didn't bother me much about it going bad. I hope it doesn't happen too often, I'm thinking of installing a ts performance chip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts