The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I had the bearings go out on the turbo in my 2000 7.3. I replaced the turbo, and the truck initially started, and I though all was good. Got about a tenth of a mile, and it started losing power and rpm went down. I managed to get it back home, and found that one of the rubber boots on the tube going to the front of the engine wasn't, and had slipped off. Fixed that, made sure everything else was tight, and drove it about 30 miles round trip. Woo hoo! Two days later, it went back to the losing power and rpm after a tenth of a mile. I got it back home again, and now it won't start.
Turbo spins freely, but the engine just cranks till the battery dies. Also, I noticed one of the two solenoids on top of the engine, the rearward one, was smoking a little, and the wire going to it was red hot, (which I suppose explains the smoke, coming from its rubber boot.). What is this solenoid, and could it, or what it controls, be the cause of my issues?
I really don't want to have to tow this to a shop, so any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Did you have those solenoids disconnected when you pulled the turbo? Sounds like you got some wires crossed. The two solenoids are the glow plug relay and the air intake heater relay. Can you take some close up pictures of your wiring on each solenoid?

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
There should have been one large wire that went to the heater on the y-pipe that you almost had to have removed to get the turbo off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Glow plug relay.

I would disconnect the relay (big wire on passenger side of solenoid and wrap it in black tape and tie it out of the way (it will be hot at all times).

Then charge your batteries overnight so you get proper voltage AND rpms during starting.

If truck is in good shape and it is somewhat warm outside, you wont need glow plugs this time of year to start.

Might be a good idea to check the battery connections as well while you are at it.

Report back...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the wires on the y-pipe was taken off, but I'd back and secure.
I'll try pulling the hot wire on that solenoid. I was getting good rotation from the starter though, but the engine didn't even try to catch.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Did you get them back correctly? There is an isolator with two separate wires there. Here's a picture from Bob's website -

109.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
During installation of the turbo, I didn't disconnect anything from those relays. I did disconnect the battery wire to the glow plug relay, (I think), the one on the left in your pic that was getting so hot, and try to start it, but got nothing except the starter churning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts