The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bed developed holes, right under the 5th wheel mounting plates. I also noticed the cross member are pretty well rotted, so I need to pull the bed. Has anyone done this and where did you get the parts from? Getting the bed off will be easy enough with my tractor and forks, but, how can I flip it over by myself to work on it without damaging it? I have a plasma cutter to remove the spot welds from the flange, and can grind the cross members off the floor sides, so have the tools to do the job, just need the parts and an idea how to work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I won’t go into a lot of detail here, it’s all in my below post from a few years ago. I got my bed channels through Dorman, the bed I flipped with a chain fall and a couple of creepers....... not a scratch.

Reactions: pitstop

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, gives me an idea on flipping the bed. I have a tractor with pallet forks, and it is a short bed so a little easier to work with. Now to find the bed panel with supports.

Reactions: Big Horn

·
Registered
166 Posts
I won’t go into a lot of detail here, it’s all in my below post from a few years ago. I got my bed channels through Dorman, the bed I flipped with a chain fall and a couple of creepers....... not a scratch.

That's a good process to flip the bed. We might do the bed repair on my friend's new '12 Super duty project. It's in the shop for the new rotors and toyo tires installation and alignment.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this has been completed. I was able to remove the bed, flip it over without incident put it on stands and do the repairs, which turned out to be much more than anticipated since I found rust under the flares that had to be removed and resulted in having to paint the entire bed. I have the whole process with pics here. I also pulled the bumpers and got the rust removed and cleaned up on the front and left rear, and replaced the banged up right rear shell. I still have to get the 5th wheel mount installed, cut and polish the clear and put the flares back on. Long process, but now, along with the front end getting rebuilt, the truck drives quietly, no more rattles from the front, and no more banging from the rear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, this has been completed. I was able to remove the bed, flip it over without incident put it on stands and do the repairs, which turned out to be much more than anticipated since I found rust under the flares that had to be removed and resulted in having to paint the entire bed. I have the whole process with pics here. I also pulled the bumpers and got the rust removed and cleaned up on the front and left rear, and replaced the banged up right rear shell. I still have to get the 5th wheel mount installed, cut and polish the clear and put the flares back on. Long process, but now, along with the front end getting rebuilt, the truck drives quietly, no more rattles from the front, and no more banging from the rear.
Great to hear it was a smooth replacement for you!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sad part is, I still had towing issues due to the Sidewinder wedge not being tight enough, can't get it tighter. and the above bed rails making a crap ton of groaning and popping, and handled like crap so sold it and bought a 2019 F-450. Will lock the Sidewinder and remove the puck. I did this on my return trip with the 2012 which cemented me with getting a long bed instead. The trip was uneventful and relaxing since the trailer wasn't popping side to side ans causing the truck to waggle side to side.

Truck looked great when I was done though.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Truck looked great when I was done though.
ACD2, I went on your link above “here” and you did an awesome job rebuilding the bed, looks great!

Reactions: ACD2

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ACD2, I went on your link above “here” and you did an awesome job rebuilding the bed, looks great!
Thank you very much, Appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts