The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haul trailers, one of which is a utility trailer with no electric brakes. I sometimes haul 3 or 4 tons at highway speed on this trailer, which is bumper pull. My horse trailer is gooseneck and has electric brakes, so the strain on the truck's brakes, even with the vastly increased weight, is not so noticeable.

I need new front brakes for this use, and the only thread I've been able to find is from back in 2011, and brake companies and types of brakes have changed a lot since then.

The 2011 thread recommended using OE brake pads from a ford dealer; not Motorcraft, but OE pads in a plain brown box. It also recommended Hawk Velvet Touch, which are, apparently, no longer made.

For my towing vehicle, what do the dieselstop experts recommend in 2020 for a 2001 2 wheel drive truck?

·
Super Moderator
25,342 Posts
Jack (FMTRVT), our resident brake expert, may be along to chime in, but IIRC, he suggests using Ford's Superduty pads with solid rotors (slots and holes just reduce the surface area, which reduces the friction available).
I put them on my truck and have had good service from them. I don't tow heavy though. I can't find the actual part receipt right now, but pretty sure the PN would be BRSD756 (2V001) at your ford dealer. Pads about $60 for the front at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the nearest Ford dealer and asked about the superduty OEM front brake pads. They had some in stock, but wanted $90 or $95 dollars for one set. I said, "No, thank you."

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
Motorcraft BRSD756 is $50.79 at RockAuto. Those are the severe duty pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,342 Posts
Sounds about right for a local Ford dealer as far as pricing. The one up here typically wants over published list price. Sometimes WAY over.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am so confused. I have searched the Ford part catalog at two places and given the vehicle information. There is only one set of brake pads offered; no super/severe duty brakes are shown in the parts list, and these are on sale for $35.00.

The parts people at the local dealership told me that there were two levels of brake pads--the superduty ones and a lesser set. Were they putting something over on me?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Can you list the P/N the local dealership is recommending for $35?

·
Super Moderator
25,342 Posts
There must be 50 different listings for your truck on RockAuto. The priciest is ~$53. And they do list the SuperDuty pads.
You can find them by searching for the part no that RT posted.
If you're searching on Autonation White Bear Lake you can search on the PN there also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts