The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I have a 2007 6.0 with 170,000 miles. I am getting ready to start my parts replacement as I am having a few of the standard issues. My question is, has anyone replaced their stock camshaft with a 3/4 stage or stage 1 camshaft? If so, any advantages? I have read that with the stock camshaft, it was ground to provide some overlap for the EGR system and is not as efficient as it could be. The different dealers of these camshafts are promising a very small upgrade of horsepower/torque, but the main thing I am focused on is the lower EGTs and fuel efficiency promise. Any one have any information for or against this?
My truck continues to run great, so it is not necessary to replace.

I remember when working on BMWs that they came out with training around their variable cam timing that allowed overlap to provide EGR operation without the valve and other components. What I noticed with this was when the EGR operation was being used there was a slight loss of fuel mileage. When programming removed the mode from the operation, the mileage increased quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
adding information from one manufacturer

From Hot Street Trucks to Service Trucks
Stage 1
Drop in Replacement with corrected Valve Timing, increasing lift and duration for efficiency vs the OEM cam grind that was designed to promote EGR flow.
Works with stock valve springs and upgraded 120# springs.
No Piston fly-cutting required.
Chromoly push rods recommended.
Duration 170 intake/185 exhaust Lift .385" intake/ .368 exhaust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts