The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is taking longer to start than it did in the past. I've check the glow plug relay, glow plugs and batteries and all are good. I am thinking the starter is the issue. So I am looking for a good replacement starter motor. Any recommendations?

Griz

·
Premium Member
9,843 Posts
When I go to replace mine I'll look real hard at the Power Master from Summit Racing

DB Electric used to have good ones but I have been reading bad reviews on them lately.

Reactions: bwst

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Consider putting a scanner on it to see if high pressure oil is coming up strong, and cranking volts/rpm are where they need to be. FORScan how to thread in FAQ section describes a cheap and effective method.

How are your battery cables and connections? Recommend removing each connection and cleaning them up to ensure all the available power from the battery is getting to the starter.

Agree with bugman, I've not tried the Powermaster 9051 starter myself, but have read good things on the forums about it as a cost effective alternative to the top notch Denso unit CNC Fab sells.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Lots of good Starters out there, the not as good are always the cheapest with acceptable alternatives cheaper than the most expensive.
When/if you do change starters alternator or both its a good time to upgrade your + - cables, frame > motor grounds and add a direct alternator frame to battery negative post cable.
I had many years of good service from the stock starter. About a year ago I installed a new real Denso that I bought from CNC Fab, big difference in starting, but likely not any better that some of the other similar types. I picked the Denso because of its reputation for longevity and Kw rating.
Good luck, 106

·
Registered
7 Posts
My truck is taking longer to start than it did in the past. I've check the glow plug relay, glow plugs and batteries and all are good. I am thinking the starter is the issue. So I am looking for a good replacement starter motor. Any recommendations?

Griz
I would check your batter's first

·
Registered
6 Posts

Griz
I just fixed this exact problem of a start like batteries were low. The negative cable and post on the left battery cable were clean, but when I cut the coating Back on the cable the top 1” under the coating was really corroded so wasn’t getting flow of power needed. The dealers all said this cable was no longer available so went to a battery shop and had a replacement made. I had the same problem with my 72 E250 van many years ago.
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts