The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the thing all torn apart to do ball joints. Good time to do pads. I have the entire caliper assembly off---can I put in pads without taking that apart? If not, should I install the assembly back to the knuckle before taking it apart for the pads?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I will try to help. You can replace pads in these trucks as long as you have 4 clips and 2 pad springs. They just fit into the caliper bracket. Go to POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDAS® "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks to see a vid of replacing the pads in our trucks. I would at least have the rotor turned or (I never turn rotors) just replace the rotor. Brakes just work better when you replace the rotor too. Everything breaks in best this way.
As far as your knuckle problem, go to this web page: Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
This explains how to get down to the knuckle, and then it is a matter of removing ball joints and knocking the axle fork out to get to that seal. If you have to have it by the morning, you might think about putting it back together and doing this when you have a little more knowledge from someone and more time. I know when I am rushed, things just go wrong and take twice as long to do. Good luck to you and I hope I helped you.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

That guzzles site helped with a lot of questions. One thing though---he says to use white grease inside the locking hubs. I only have Valvoline moly fortified all purpose bearing lube. I used that---hope it wont hurt anything. Thanks again

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just use that grease very light and you will be fine. Glad I could help you

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pretty much slopped it around. I saw a youtube video and the guy was using red grease---he practically filled the hub with grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts