The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at changing my evap temp sensor soon and as I know it is buried deep in the dash, I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this daunting task. I have been having issues with my AC intermittently working and local Ford technician diagnosed the evap temp sensor being the issue. Rather than paying them $2000 to replace a $30-$40 part I am doing it. Just looking for some tips and tricks if anyone has any.
Thank you for any advise.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If you are not used to taking vehicles apart, this is one of those jobs that will be hell for you. You have to remove the evaporator core to replace the sensor. This means you will need to have access to a refrigerant reclaiming and charging machine and remove the dash panel and then the HVAC housing. I also think $2000 is a little steep. I would consider getting another estimate or two before committing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info... I used to do stereo installs and love tearing things apart. So the main thing is that I will need to have the system evacuated. Is it absolutely necessary to evac the system? Also it was mentioned that I should consider replacing the evap as well. What are your thoughts. truck is at 98,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You won't be able to separate the top of the case with it bolted to the firewall. I would love to be able to say there is a way to sneak it out but I don't think there is. It has been about a year since I last had one out but I am pretty sure this is accurate. As far as replacing the core, it depends on the school of thought you subscribe to. There were a bunch reported as leaking, but I can only claim to replace one for leaking refrigerant. I have done more for being clogged with dirt and debris - landscaping trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts