The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my headlamps due to the lenses being hazed (I'm not interested in polishing them) and am wondering if the clear lens 2002 and newer headlamps will install seamlessly on my 2000 truck. This seems desirable to me due to the obviously brighter lamps on the 2002 and newer trucks. Not to mention that I read KLHansen say the same thing about the improved 2002 lamps. I'm also not interested in any non-DOT approved HID upgrade. Thanks for any and all replies.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I had a thread on these a couple of months ago:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f26/headlights-520042/#post3823497

I also have a 2000 and our original headlight is named "Aero-style". I stuck with OEM :ford: and it is a simple "drop-in" replacement.

It sounds like you already know the changes made to the lens in 2002 compared to our 2000...the newer lens is smooth rather than fluted.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harness???

I've read loads of threads about this and have yet to see the answer to this. What is the benefit of a new harness and the addition of a diode?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I wouldn't try HID's in those style lenses (Aero-style) the lenses are not designed to have Hid's in them , you'll end up with an un-even light spread and there is too much heat from the Hid bulbs for the lenses.
If you use the newer style lenses use good quality halogen bulbs you'll be better off.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I've read loads of threads about this and have yet to see the answer to this. What is the benefit of a new harness and the addition of a diode?
I don't know much about this but there are multiple "harness upgrade" options depending on the application.

I think a new harness is required if you upgrade to 2005 & newer Sealed (9008) beam headlights and another type of harness with diode if you upgrade to HID.

If you stay with the stock Ford (9007) Aero headlights then you have the following three methods to increase your headlight brightness:

1) Upgrade to a more powerful 9007 bulb like a Sylvania SilverStar Ultra. (On sale at CarQuest right now for $40/pair).

2) Install an "upgrade" to your existing wiring harness which increases voltage to the headlights. The factory harness suffers a voltage loss because it uses only 18-guage wire and has a long circuit it must travel (routing to the headlight switch and then the HI/LO switch) before reaching the headlight.

This "Modification" includes heavier 12-guage wire and two waterproof relays which get power directly from the battery. This method only uses the factory 18-gauge harness to power (or trip) the relays when you turn on your dashboard headlight switch. The relays then power the headlights directly from the battery rather than the factory harness circuit resulting in 13v-14v at the headlight rather than 11v. The additional voltage increases the bulb intensity.

3) Install an "Upgrade" which allows both the HI/LO beams to be powered on at the same time.

All three of these options can be combined for the ultimate lighting effect.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
A headlight harness gets better voltage to the bulbs. The stock small gauge wiring runs from the fuse box, up to the headlight switch, thru the multifunction switch on the steering column, and then all the way back up to the headlights. A harness uses larger gauge wiring and relays to shorten the path from the power source to the headlight bulbs. The relays get triggered by the stock wiring. A diode is used to keep low beams on with the high beams, getting more light on the road.

Headlight harnesses used to be available from SUVLIGHTS and GOS PERFORMANCE, but they don't show up right now. It's not hard to build your own. All it takes is two bosch 40A relays and sockets, an old 9007 bulb, a couple of 9004/9007 pigtails, some 16 gauge wire, wire loom and electrical tape. A little soldering skill helps as well.

Here's some instructions that I sent to Dan.
View attachment Headlight Harness Mod.pdf

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the cogent replies, guys. Figured the harness/diode was something like that (me being an electronics guy) but I'm really not interested in "fixing what ain't broken". I believe the stock lighting is more than sufficient as long as the headlamp lenses don't look like frosted glass. The upgrade to the '02 headlamps is desirable to me due to the clear lenses which do not frost as the original.

While I certainly get the farkle urge so many of us have with our trucks I just don't get the desire to upgrade older (99 and up) trucks to HID or other high intensity lighting systems. Of course, no offense it intended to anyone. Just my personal opinion based on years of cursing incredibly bright oncoming lights only to find they're low beams after 'flashing' them. I recently was, quite literally, blinded when an oncoming car went 'high' after I flashed him. His lows were brutal and the highs? Well, I had to pull over as I couldn't see anything beyond the front of my truck.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Just my personal opinion based on years of cursing incredibly bright oncoming lights only to find they're low beams after 'flashing' them. I recently was, quite literally, blinded when an oncoming car went 'high' after I flashed him. His lows were brutal and the highs? Well, I had to pull over as I couldn't see anything beyond the front of my truck.
I agree 100%. Most aftermarket lights are dangerous to oncoming drivers, let alone illegal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts