The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
permalink#32 on this thread sadly I did not get a close up while the assy. was still together but I did make a little paper chart of their direction and unless it has been into and reassembled incorrectly this was factory

man sometimes this 6.4 stuff is like I am on some uncharted myth guess im the only normal guy crazy enough to tear one down himself (couldn't be)

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
In the furthest pix to right are those fulcrum point posts the rockers rock on? One looks larger than the other. That's going to make a differance if that is the case. Heavier parts are usually towards or on the exhaust.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
nick the shinny spot in middle is where the rocker tips ride... each end of the "dog bone" is where the bridge sits on the 2 valves with either a oval hole or a round hole to choose from 16 of these little puppies all together

it surely has to be non directional .. the round end would never let the oval end move
but knowing my luck I toast some new stuff if I just slap them in there

I have a PM into ford_doctor to see if he has the answer

no big hurry one of my everyday trucks got hit today by a non insured lady!!! got to pull back the front bumper and hit the spare parts truck up for a part or two!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Sorry about your luck. I am not seeing the parts well enough combined with not seeing their home. I am sorry I am not of more help to you. I have never tangled with one.
I know James has said he knows the 6.4, perhaps he knows. James has some letters or numbers after the word James but you can find him in a search I'm sure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
10-4 he has said he cant find any info on the direction in the manual soon as I get a second opinion I go back together

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
If you cannot get a definitive answer from calling somebody like say Powerstrokehelp.com or other that you know have put there hands on those parts and you are going to move forward assemble only one and look for a pattern. Like look for marks where things sat. Pay attention to contours and especially angles. When you feel confident that you have it for that cylinder have someone slowly turn crank several revelations extremely slowly while you observe with your face right there staring.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
BRIDGES ARE NON DIRECTIONAL

UPDATE for those of you guys wanting to know ... I just got conformation from
ford_doctor and jamesrxx that the rocker bridges are non directional....

still I will be installing them in a set direction just to keep my brian from frying:jester:

thanks to ford_doctor and jamesrxx

·
Vendor
611 Posts
The C2 lettering stamped in the bridge should be facing in the same direction as you would be reading in (right side up and left to right). It'll look upside down otherwise. They will go on the other way, but the bridge gets real close to the side of the rocker box and the injector harness brackets.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
thank you doug for the response ... I certainly do appreciate it
I am glad I have a set direction to go with

BTW hit me up in personal I have a few questions about as far as tuners go ...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
got to looking at these new pushrods and one end is bronze colored and one end is chromed/polished

like I had said before I tried to label and note all directions as i pulled this stuff apart but.... the old pushrods were diesel black and did not show their color until I wiped them clean

so witch end on the rocker ?? thanks guys

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Hey how are ya? Don't know for sure but I would think the harder chrome end up top where more is going on but hopefully someone will know for sure.
I personally use a box that I put small holes in. I Mark the box with front of engine. As I pull one at a time a wipe it and put it in the line of holes in box in order as they come out. After all are out, wiped and placed in line I get down from truck and roll each one. Hindsight right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
yes nick I wish I had wiped them off I do know witch cyl they came out of but no ends labled!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
glow plugs

factory glow plugs were NGK

NEW glow plugs MOTORCRAFT ZD-15 PN # 8C3Z-12A342-A were actually also NGK!

NGK PN# 1854421C1 figured they would be re-boxed autolite nut no

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
I was not trying to rub anything in, I was just telling you of the process that works for me. I also gave rational to why I thought chrome should go up.
Sorry buddy

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
I see NGKs in industrial machines with a bazillion hours and never have seen any tip swelling like we all have read about Auto Lites. I only really see them and Beru.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
no prob nick I get you ...I really do appreciate your help and hey tomorrow I drop in the rockers and rods and bridges as well as the glow plugs....

assembly lube needed do you think??
suggestions this will be sitting a few more weeks while the parts pile up and I shudder to think of a dry start!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
dosent the other end of this pushrod sit directly on top of the lifter??

I am going to see if I can find one that has marks to indicate witch end was sitting on the rocker ball vs the other end

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I remember reading in the IDI forum about which end goes at the top. I can't remember right now, and since my 'puter is off for the night, I can't do a proper search.

I bet the same applies to all IH engines. If you don't get it figured out, I'll look in the morning.

On further looking this AM, yes the COPPER end is UP in the IDI engine, and again I bet it's the same for all IH diesel engines.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
thank you chuck I searched all over for 6.4 specific info on this but no

forgive my lack of knowing .... but dosent the other end sit on the lifter??

the 7.3 lifter is the same for 7.3 6.0 and 6.4 so be the same direction for pushrod?

thanks again chuck

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Yeah, every push rod I've seen for the last 40 yrs of wrenching went between the rocker and the lifter.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts