The Diesel Stop banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
after a reading the 6.4 bible on page 48 on the pre launch info found a picture of the passenger side head/rocker assy and there is a set direction in the photo on page 48

keep in mind the heads are referenced by the notch in lower corner of head
passenger side notch is in front
drivers side notch is at firewall

lubed and installed bridges PN# 8C3Z-6564-A X16
pushrods PN# 8C3Z-6565-B x16
could only find 15 of my new pushrods !! so soon as I find the last one the torque procedure for rockers is next

picture of bridges, glow plugs and push rods with copper end up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What a project!

Old history now, but the correct direction of the push rod was in the file Boating Fool linked in post #46...

Hope I am not facing all this as I just passed 191k myself.

Joe

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
here is the worst tip out of the bunch on the verge of falling out into the engine! I love power strokes but this particular design is a joke
there has to be a better way an aftermarket roller rocker is a must!!!

I am still amazed at a engine in a diesel work truck is brought down by a simple little thing like this while I have a few gasser trucks by the competition trouble free up into the 290k range

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
rocker assy

here is the complete assembly .... it was handled roughly or had been fingered before I got this one as the cheesy clips were broken on 4 out of the set

ALSO the whole assembly comes with the mount bracket and costs more so you may consider just purchasing them as a single may save a few $$$

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
here is the crank clocked with the dowel at 10:30 and a small level was used to see witch intake pushrod was up to determine tdc and the rockers for those cylinders snugged down just enough to make contact with the fulcrum plate using the procedure listedin the 6.4 bible in the torque/special procedure section

more to come hope this helps out

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
bolted up the new a/c compressor three 10 mm bolts the rear one is easiest to get out with a wrench....also got my neat new 6.0 fan clutch tool it claims to do a 6.0 but it worked with my 6.4 with slight modification to the tip of the holder

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
no i didn't go that deep .... hope it wasn't needed from looking down the push rod holes and other drain holes what appeared to be the cam to me visually looked good used my micro bore scope to look in there and in the cylinders via the injector holes so guess we will see

how you been nick old bud getting ready for snow?

·
Registered
878 Posts
here is the complete assembly .... it was handled roughly or had been fingered before I got this one as the cheesy clips were broken on 4 out of the set

ALSO the whole assembly comes with the mount bracket and costs more so you may consider just purchasing them as a single may save a few $$$

Thats been all too common for for this particular part number. Many times they even come like this directly from Ford.

We'll be overpacking these forsure if Ford doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thats been all too common for for this particular part number. Many times they even come like this directly from Ford.

We'll be overpacking these forsure if Ford doesn't solve the problem.
for certain toulsey man this was what both sides looked like when I opened the ford box.... what the prob is the mount bracket is so heavy in there and just flopping around loosely and smashing stuff I may be wrong butt they may have been assembled as a whole set before being drop kicked a few times and fell totally apart like a cheap watch!!

a good safety measure would be wrap the mount in its own plastic wrap and secure it to one side of the box and the rocker tips were prone to severe damage as well ....

I strongly urge anyone buying this part to open it up at the parts counter and get a count on each part
1. large bracket
16. arms
16. balls
16. unbroken clips ( the clip can be bought by the piece)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
getting ready to purchase the tensioners and pulleys
going to go with the gates brand unless there are negative results from anyone here

the gates green belts I have used in the past are good stuff
and I have both new green belts to go back with
SERP PN#K080865HD (single alt )
A/C PN#K060393HD

I did a visual on both the gates tensioners and they look quality as far as visual goes

thanks friends

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
here is the new alt and a/c compressor installed
next up tensioners and pics of hpfp install and new oil cooler
and the balancer with new tty bolts torqued to 50 ftlbs and then 90 degress

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
ok did purchase one of the gates tensioners so I could bring it home and take a few photos for your consideration ...

the factory FOMOCO compared to the GATES
the tensioner itself 100% the same on both EXCEPT the gates brand has the fomoco logo machined off of it
but
the pulley itself has a made in china bearing in it vs the factory one dose not say where

so whats the opinion guys ... destin for failure or same as OE

the gates box claims made in Canada and the ford one also has the made in Canada logo

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
belt tensioners

went ahead and returned the gates and went with the fomoco
the ford one has a NTN BRAND BEARING the gated has one labeled CHINA
tensioner body the same for the a/c and the serp belt EXCEPT they are clocked differently
easily to get them swapped for each other the way to tell them apart is the A/C has the thinner pulley vs the serp is the thick pulley

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
a/c belt install

the A/C belt install works best with the serp belt tensioner off and the belt has to be laid flat to slide past the alt accessory bracket then has just enough slack to go over the balancer then 3/8 drive break over it to install the belt

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
oil cooler/turbo ped removal

removed the turbo drain back tube then removed the turbo pedestal
had to remove the power steering pump to access the front drivers side outer oil cooler bolt
the oil cooler CAN be removed without removing the intake manifold

I would advise using a shop vac get all the loose junk that collects up there from falling into the case

at this mileage (191k) the seals were getting hard but not failing yet
HOPEFULLY this is truly the halfway point of going back together

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
FINALLY TURBOS !!

hello guys a nasty divorce had put the brakes on the project but now im back at it here is that beautiful A1CARDONE turbo setup($2998.00) getting all rerady for install as well as the new factory oil cooler PN# 8C3Z-6A642-A

Attachments

81 - 100 of 105 Posts