The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably got ripped off but I just paid $1200.00 to have my transmission cooling lines replaced on a 2001 F350 7.3. Can anyone tell me how many lines there are? I only see 2 but he said there are 4. The parts alone were $557.00. Is this a job I could have done myself? I could not find any threads on it( unless I searched incorrectly). I had to take a long trip and they were leaking badly so I trusted the recommendation of a friend and took it to his shop. Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Probably got ripped off but I just paid $1200.00 to have my transmission cooling lines replaced on a 2001 F350 7.3. Can anyone tell me how many lines there are? I only see 2 but he said there are 4. The parts alone were $557.00. Is this a job I could have done myself? I could not find any threads on it( unless I searched incorrectly). I had to take a long trip and they were leaking badly so I trusted the recommendation of a friend and took it to his shop. Thanks in advance for replies.

one goes from the tranny to the OTW cooler, one from OTW to OTA cooler, one from OTA cooler back to tranny, then there is a bypass tube if you want to count that there's the four.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...ling diagram 2001 4r100&imgrc=RBfkz1Cmbs-fsM:

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
Wow. Let's see. The return line (cooler to rear of transmission - F81Z7A030CA) is $24.78. The output line (front of transmission to radiator - YC3Z7A031CA) is $46.45. The radiator to air cooler line (YC3Z7C410AB) is the expensive one - $92.50. The bypass tube - which wouldn't really ever need replacing, but even if you did, part 2C3Z7H322BA is about $66.27. The rebuild kit is like $12.00. Time to replace these lines - book - is 1.4 hours. So, by my calculations - true parts cost being $230, you just paid the shop $692.86 an hour to change those lines. And yes, you could have done it yourself. Might even have taken a couple hours longer than the shop, but you'd still come out ahead.

Oh, and those are genuine Motorcraft part prices. They are available in Dorman in aluminum so they will never rust for less than half those quoted prices. I left out the pint of transmission fluid they would have needed to replace due to losses pulling those lines. Maybe that was the big expense.

Reactions: StockKnocker
1 - 3 of 3 Posts