The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

I have been a member of this forum in years past (evanmac) and have returned because my truck is having some issues I need help with.

First the truck has had a small fuel drip for a few weeks now while running... I am assuming that is the low pressure fuel pump "weeping"? the fuel is coming from the rear of the valley under the turbo.... i can see the fuel pump there and a small puddle of fuel behind and under it. How can I be sure and/or is this a common simptom?

Yesterday on the way home my power brakes stopped working and I opened the hood to see the vac pump pulley was locked up solid and the belt was making a nice burning smell!

So, I am thinking that I want to fix my fuel leak while I have the truck down for the vac pump issue. Any advice or corrections in my thinking?

I would like to find a good mechanic for my truck here in the Shreveport Louisiana area if I can because I really don't have the time to work on the truck as much as I used to and the dealership is way too expensive.

Anyone here familiar with my area?

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

EvanMC (formerly EvanMac

1996 f250 4x4 supercab

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmm....

I have had the same symptoms before. Fuel leaking in the valley and then down the back of the engine.

Most likely the leak is coming from the transfer pump hoses. A few little hoses with clamps on them. Your dealer should have all the parts you need. Maybe replace the pump if it's the original? You'll almost be there anyway. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete the replacement of the pump by myself taking my time. First I cleaned the top of the engine with some degreaser and blew everything dry with air so I wasn't wallowing in dirt the whole job.

Vacuum pump is pretty straight forward. Probably have to yank the fan to gain access though.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
You do not have to pull the fan to replace vacuum pump. Just be sure and take it with you when you get replacement as you need a puller for the pulley. Autozone usually will let you use theirs or pull it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
If you have the zone do it for you ,,you need to put the bolts in the holes ,before the pulley is pressed on ,,& make sure it ends up is the same spot it was ,,(note how far on the shaft it was)...

Puller & installer pics ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a factory fuel pump if you're interested. It came off my truck about a month and a half ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts