The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda weird deal hope someone could put some reason to it. Goin about 10 MPH I shifted the truck into neutral when the engine was at idle. As it hit neutral is reved itself to about 1200-1300 RPMS for around 2 sec. then came back down to the normal idle...??? Is this normal?? Any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've seen it before. It's a chip programming issue. Pull the chip and see if it still does it.
Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
This same condition happens to me i've noticed... I don't think you should worry about it much... How often do you need to shift into neutral going over 10 anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
you think thats scary huh......i was cruising through arkansas at about 70mph in the rain last summer towing a 10k lb trailer with my race car in it and I swear I got hit by lightning!!!! I went to adjust the radio and I got the crap zapped out of me (out of a plastic knob mind you) flinched the truck ended up in reverse while passing a big rig i reached down put it back in drive but the truck had stalled i restarted it finished passing teh truck pulled over an hr later for fuel and to wipe my shorts

got a trans code later that night but never checked it and never had a prob that was 15000 miles ago!!!

I am still scared to tune the radio in the rain

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Yup, semi normal, my truck does it too. I like to shift the truck into Neutral after a long or HARD brake so that I dont have to hold the brake pedal (which holds the heat into the rotors and can warp them).

If the truck is still moving when I shift it into N, it will rev up to about 1300 for a second or two.

I think its because the truck gets confused. The computer adds a little more fuel when your in gear to counter act the effect of the torque convertor, but when you flip it to N it still has that excess pressure to bleed off. I think the speed sensor plays into the math somewhere too.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My Excursion does it with the chip in or out and have seen many other stock trucks do this also. It's got to be the programming from Ford.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[ QUOTE ]
Kind of like pushing the clutch in while you are driving with the CRUISE on in overdrive??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea something like that. It does do it with the chip in or out. Guess nothing to worry about.. Thank for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts