The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 F-250 Super Duty diesel. We are trying to install an after market radio with a rear view camera. We just need to find a wire that goes to 12V when the truck is put in reverse. We would prefer to find one in the cab. We could tap off of the trailer hitch wires but that will be outside and exposed to the elements.

We've reviewed a dozen or so YouTube videos and they are all different with different colors and different locations. It seems plausible that the wire never makes it back to the cab since it seems the "DTR" is where the switch is and then it would seem the wire would go towards the rear of the vehicle for the reverse lights and trailer hitch.

·
Administrator
24,978 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to pick up that reverse signal on the back side of the DTR switch on the transmission. If you've got a 7 pin trailer plug, you should be able to determine the color of the wire at the plug and intercept the wire of the same color at the DTRS.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
You cannot tap into the digital TR sensor - it is not a switch that sends out a 12 volt signal on a specific wire like the old MLP switches do. It sends a digital signal on a dedicated circuit to the PCM (gas) or TCM (diesel) as equipped. When the PCM/TCM senses the manual lever is in reverse it grounds the reverse lamps relay located in the battery junction box energizing the reverse lamps circuit.

You CAN tap into the reverse 12V output circuit at the parking aid module (PAM) located under the left side of the instrument panel. It's a green wire with a brown tracer - it's pin #3 in a rectangular two row 16 pin connector. The PAM should have what looks like a small speaker mounted to it if that helps.

This of course is assuming your truck has Parking Aid.

Reactions: pedz

·
Administrator
24,978 Posts
Listen to Ford_doctor. I was referring to an older wiring diagram, not a later computer controlled truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all. We ended up running another wire for the switched camera power that the radio supplied and just tapped into the reverse lights at the back of the vehicle for the signal. The radio now automatically switches on the camera when we put it in reverse as well as the ability to turn on the camera from the radio even when the truck is not in reverse. I wish I had come here first but its working, not a horrible place to splice into, and we have it all buttoned up with a fairly nice clean install. Took us an extra day wasted looking at all the YouTubes but now I know where to come for questions.

Thank you all again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.