The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
interesting

I didn't need air bags on mine at all with 4500# of hitch load and payload..

Must be something with the 2011's.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You missed part of the thread. Under certain conditions some 6.4's and some 6.7's have driveline shudder. Some members have had larger carrier bearings put in under warranty, mine (6.4) didn't. My 6.7 is fine with the same, heavy, trailer. I'm also a lot happier with more power and better mileage LOL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
driller, the Firestone wireless set-up with compressor was $350 online. I just installed mine today. Having a bit of trouble getting it to respond/inflate/deflate right now. I must have a loose connection somewhere. I'll get into it tomorrow. Fairly easy system to install. I went above the spare tire on mine.
I take it bags are not included? Add the bags and what does that run the cost to?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I take it bags are not included? Add the bags and what does that run the cost to?
You're looking at around 550 - 600 for both if you install yourself. Just look on the WEB, pleanty of companies selling them...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having a bit of trouble getting it to respond/inflate/deflate right now. I must have a loose connection somewhere. I'll get into it tomorrow. Fairly easy system to install. I went above the spare tire on mine.
I have the Firestone Wireless controller and bags as well. Originally put the ECU, valves, and compressor on top of the spare. Wireless controller would not work in cab, only standing next to rear wheel. Called Firestone and they admitted that they have had complaints that the wireless controller won't always reach if the ECU was placed at the rear of the truck (mind you they advertise 50ft range).

I moved the ECU and the valves up in front of the spare, just behind the B&M, and it still won't work from the cab. Looks like I'm going to have to move the ECU and valves all the way up under the cab to get the remote to reach. Of course that requires running a lot more airline and more potential for leaks.

In short, I'm pretty disappointed with the firestone wireless controller's range, and more diappointed with their response of "yeah, we know, sorry."

I'd get the Airlift wireless if people are having better luck with the range on it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the Firestone Wireless controller and bags as well. Originally put the ECU, valves, and compressor on top of the spare. Wireless controller would not work in cab, only standing next to rear wheel. Called Firestone and they admitted that they have had complaints that the wireless controller won't always reach if the ECU was placed at the rear of the truck (mind you they advertise 50ft range).

I moved the ECU and the valves up in front of the spare, just behind the B&M, and it still won't work from the cab. Looks like I'm going to have to move the ECU and valves all the way up under the cab to get the remote to reach. Of course that requires running a lot more airline and more potential for leaks.

In short, I'm pretty disappointed with the firestone wireless controller's range, and more diappointed with their response of "yeah, we know, sorry."

I'd get the Airlift wireless if people are having better luck with the range on it.
Wow, sorry about that. What a disappointment. To add to the pain, the formerly cheaper Ride Rites are no longer cheaper. Firestone raised the prices on their bags about $50 to match AirLifts. There now is no reason to buy the Firestone product when the Airlift controller and bags are superior and the same price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I was researching, I could never find one brand recommended over the other. I doubt the bags are really any different, and IIRC, the firestone bag install is slightly less complicated than Airlift bags, but neither is terrible. You can use either controller with either set of bags, they all just use 1/4" airline...

Either way, if anyone's looking in the future and come across this, go with the Airlifts...

·
Registered
78 Posts
bighop, I had the same issue. I've just resigned myself to adjusting the bags when I'm loading/unloading or hitching/unhitching, which is for the most part the appropriate time to adjust anyway. I have mine above the spare and I ain't movin' em.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Taking the plunge, but I pull both goosneck & Fifth wheel. What setup would you recomend? Only looking at the wireless systems!
Definitely the AirLift bags and on-board compressor system. With Firestone raising its prices recently, there is no longer any advantage to those.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which one?

driller, I only know about the Firestone setup. I wish it's range was a little better but in the long run I don't really see that as much of an inconvenience. Other than that I couldn't be much happier. Did you see my post on having the B&W goose and a Pullrite 5er hitch in a SWB truck? How are you pulling both?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 5'er is my personal trailer i pull with a SWB truck. The hitch is a 16K husky slider that I rarely have to slide to get more turning radius. The Goose are my work trailers. I just pull my 5'er hitch and use a plate with ball that conects in to my 5'er rails. I was thinking about the bags that install outside the frame rails on the truck rather than than inside the rails. Any advantagies to either style?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Clarification

FYI: I just finished installing the Firestone 2535 air bags and the 72000 Air Lift wireless compressor. I was a little confused when hooking into the under hood fuse box. The unused keyed fuse is #32 on the diagram in the owners manual. Push a female spade connector on the #32 unused fuse location and you are good to go. Fortunately the provided barrel fuse worked OK.
I also mounted the Air Lift compressor and magneto above the spare tire. You need very little provided tubing for this configuration. It is easy to get to once you remove the spare. I did have to lengthen the wires to the battery and fuse box due to the distance from the spare.
Thanks again to Epic for providing the inspiration and insight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI: I just finished installing the Firestone 2535 air bags and the 72000 Air Lift wireless compressor. I was a little confused when hooking into the under hood fuse box. The unused keyed fuse is #32 on the diagram in the owners manual. Push a female spade connector on the #32 unused fuse location and you are good to go. Fortunately the provided barrel fuse worked OK.
I also mounted the Air Lift compressor and magneto above the spare tire. You need very little provided tubing for this configuration. It is easy to get to once you remove the spare. I did have to lengthen the wires to the battery and fuse box due to the distance from the spare.
Thanks again to Epic for providing the inspiration and insight.
Dumb question/comment! Instead of running the wires all the way back under the hood! Could you not just tap into the 12v power and ground from the trailer wiring? It's right there less than three feet away. If your concerned about the power consumption it's 12 gauge and you can always bump the fuse up a size. Any cons here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both the Compressor and Magneto have to be grounded with the provided short wires. I grounded them both to the same drill hole in the spare tire frame. I presume you are are correct about the 12v wire connected to the 7-way electrical connection. The kit comes with a fuse holder and fuse for the battery connection. The instructions say go directly to the battery - however I didn't mount the compressor where the instructions recommended so yes it would be a shorter run. The next DIY member who reads this has another option.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like the idea of putting the compressor above the spare tire. Nice and clean and protected up there. AirLift says their compressor is designed to handle frame mounting and even temporary submersion up to several feet though. We'll see how it survives the test of time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Epic,

I installed the Firestone bags and the Air Lift 72000 wireless system. How long does it take your system to reach 75 psi? I can't seem to get mine to go above 45 before the system cuts out the compressor for a cool down cycle. Frustrating...

The system holds 45 psi all day/night so no apparent leaks. Compressor runs and runs but can't get above 45 psi.

I did mount the compressor above the spare, aft side of the spare tire brace. Provides nice protection. Installed the manifold/pressure regulator above the spare but facing forward on the same brace as the compressor.

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
Epic,

I installed the Firestone bags and the Air Lift 72000 wireless system. How long does it take your system to reach 75 psi? I can't seem to get mine to go above 45 before the system cuts out the compressor for a cool down cycle. Frustrating...

The system holds 45 psi all day/night so no apparent leaks. Compressor runs and runs but can't get above 45 psi.

I did mount the compressor above the spare, aft side of the spare tire brace. Provides nice protection. Installed the manifold/pressure regulator above the spare but facing forward on the same brace as the compressor.

John
I have the same setup and mine inflates to 75 psi+ without any issues. Sounds like an issue with the compressor or manifold? I would call Air Lift technical support and see if they have any ideas.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Epic,

John
John - yeah, I have no problem getting to 75 psi either. Just a couple of mins. Something is up and you better call tech support.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks guys. I have a question in to tech support and am waiting for their response.

John

21 - 40 of 51 Posts