The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced rod bearings as preventative maintenance? Is there any way to get the pan off with the motor in the truck(F350 4x4)? I dunno, just thought that it might save me some headaches in the future.

· Registered
274 Posts
Put a real oil pressure gage on the engine to get an accurate measure of the pressure. If it is good no need to replace bearings. Usually other things will fail before the bottom end does. Top end and cavitation are usually the first to go.

Perry

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. Where should I measure from and what should it be there? Thanks!
Nick

· Registered
4,723 Posts
If you are going to open up the motor, you might as well do the mains, rods, and oil pump all together.

I'm kind of ambivilant on "preventative" bearing replacement. I will do it if the oil pan is off for something else. Other than that I wait for a reason.

· Registered
559 Posts
it can be done in truck.
you need to remove the motor mounts and jack the engine till it hits the cab and the pan will slide out of there. not well, but it will come out.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
dont replace the oil pump--unless sand ran thru it--that gear pump will outpump about anything---been there---

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.