The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently replaced my fuel injectors while doing injector cups after finding diesel fuel in my coolant. I went with unlimited diesel's 175/30 single shot injectors running 1023 tuning. After I replaced the injectors and made sure to run it hard for awhile getting all the air out of the system (now have about 250 miles on them) I am still having a Romp issue when I first start the truck. It does it whether it's been running or it is cold, it will do it for a lot less time if it has just been running. It romps in all tunes except hi-idle. As soon as I give it a little throttle for a couple seconds, the idle usually drops low after I let off the throttle and then smooths out and Idles normal and the truck runs awesome now. Very happy overall with how the truck drives now. If I can figure this romping out I'll be very happy.

Any ideas on where to start? Truck never did this before I put the injectors in loaded new tunes. I'd appreciate any insight/experiences/advice.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
What oil are you using? Maybe the injector/tuner combo is sensitive to oil brand.
You might try a different brand of oil.

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
The Adrenaline HPOP people swear that you have to remove the ICP sensor and the front plug on the passenger side and fill with oil to purge that last bit of air out of the high-pressure oil rail to solve this issue. I had the same thing when I swapped my pump (I know you just did injectors) and it did noticeably smooth out after doing the purge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's. I have it data logged but haven't had a chance to upload and send it to 1023 yet. When I do I'll post them up on here as well.

@RT I've heard this and plan on trying that out. I unplugged my icp yesterday and found the connector did have some oil in it so I ordered a replacement as well as a new pigtail. Supposed to have them tomorrow. When I install the new icp I'll check for the bubble and see about getting the rail completely full. To me this feels air in the hpo system but we'll see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@klhansen sorry I missed your comment but I'm using rotella t4 15w40 with motorcraft filter. Doesn't seem to matter whether EOT is 70 or 200* it will romp either way, it just does it for a little longer when it's been sitting. It will even romp if you stop to fill up for fuel.

A quick update, I installed a new icp sensor yesterday and had oil coming out of the port where the sensor screws in so I don't believe I have the bubble. Unless I'm missing something on how that's checked @RT. Needless to say the sensor didn't change anything. I've attached a file showing the romp and how icp and ipr behave during that time.

1023 sent me a test file where it sounded like they increased fueling on startup but it didn't seem to change anything. Any other suggestions moving forward?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update. This morning I started the truck and it didn't romp at all and idled good. I went to work and the truck sat for a couple hours. Got in it and started it and it did romp this time. After the drive it sat for a just a few minutes before I had to start it and leave again and it romped again. I'm wondering if it's possibly an ipr issue after my good cold start. Any thoughts? The guys at 1023 told me to check and make sure my lpo pressure at the hpop reservoir was running at least 10 psi during the romp. But I'm not sure how to even check that if I'm honest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set my hydra to the 00/bypass setting this afternoon after I got home from work and it didn't romp at all. This makes me think tuning is the issue but curious to hear others thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Well hopefully we can put this one to bed. I found it very hard to believe that since I could put the truck in bypass mode and it would startup fine with no romp that it wasn’t in someway shape or form curable with tuning. Not to slam anyone But 1023 didn’t seem to think that was the case. So for just testing I bought gearhead tunes this afternoon and if nothing else I’d have some different files to test on.

the truck starts up great with no romp. Not only that but it seems to shift a ton better with my stage 1 Sam wyse. I had probably 5 or 6 revisions from 1023 that couldn’t get the rough/oddly timed Shifts in check. Again I’m not bashing those guys. I think sometimes with These trucks, some tuners are better for truck A and some are better for truck B. At this point I know my truck runs great with gearhead.

thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution. Glad you found an answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts