The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have had some trouble with my 96 PSD starting lately. It romps on cold starts and then is fine all day. I just replaced fuel filter, glow plugs (to replace the $hit Auotlite ones the kid put in before he sold it), all 4 UVCH, and valve cover gaskets. It hasn't been real cold to test if the romping is gone but it lugs on all starts still. It turns over quick then catches and kinda Lug, Lug, Lugs for 5 seconds or so then runs like a bear after. What needs to be changed next? I gotta get this figured out before the real cold gets here. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey all. I have had some trouble with my 96 PSD starting lately. It romps on cold starts and then is fine all day. I just replaced fuel filter, glow plugs (to replace the $hit Auotlite ones the kid put in before he sold it), all 4 UVCH, and valve cover gaskets. It hasn't been real cold to test if the romping is gone but it lugs on all starts still. It turns over quick then catches and kinda Lug, Lug, Lugs for 5 seconds or so then runs like a bear after. What needs to be changed next? I gotta get this figured out before the real cold gets here. Thanks, Jeff
The oil and filter. That Rotella t6 stuff does wonders for my 95 in the winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, I'll have t try that because its due for a change too. How often do you change your oil?

·
Registered
652 Posts
And NO addatives. There is an addative that starts with L and causes this like gangbusters. Good quality oil will clean that junk out, but an anti stiction addative like what the 6.0l guys might help you clean it out faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks what is the additive that you are talking about called. I dont use any oil additives i just use some fuel additive to keep from gelling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input. I switched to Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40, and switched to a new fuel source (after pulling nearly 6 ounces of water put of my fuel bowl). Truck starts and runs like a bear. Even this morning when it was frozen in snow at 22°. Thanks a lot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts