The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever have the roof collapse on an ext PSD van? anyway to fix it back to rigid form? it buckles a lot?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
mine is fiberglass high top. Never a problem. You can buy a fiberglass high-top cheap now since they are discontinued and the conversion companies have plenty of them for sale. You can cut your old metal roof out and install the new fiberglass, it will add headroom and keep it a little cooler inside. Get an aerodynamically top in the front, and not the type that will add drag. You don't cut the gutter system out, you just cut the thin top metal; out and leave about 3" I think it is to fasten it on the top. This way it keeps the strength.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems like the roof lost rigidness and buckles in and out?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It almost looks like someone rolled the van. A new Fiberglass top would give it a new life.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I think some retard was walking on it ....You could screw 1/2 Plywood or metal to the ribs on the inside and that might make it solid...other than that the Fibreglass top is not a bad idea...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think some retard was walking on it ....You could screw 1/2 Plywood or metal to the ribs on the inside and that might make it solid...other than that the Fibreglass top is not a bad idea...[

i think a tree may have also caused this damage? i just brought the van and plan on replacing all metal roof supports and the rust sections.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A BFH would fix it up LOL.

If you plan on keeping the van for a long time I'd bring it to a shop and let them weld on a new roof or bring it to a shop and let them cut out that roof and put on a fiberglass roof mentioned before.

·
Registered
395 Posts
van350 sd:......Would you be able to direct me to where those fiberglass roofs are "cheap now". I would be interested in one if they were priced in the earthly range instead of the rocket to the moon prices I had seen when looking in the past.
Then again I guess the term "cheap" is relative to the speaker/writer.
But sure wish you could tell me where to go to see some (close out, on discontinued items) type prices..........Thanks...........DDT

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
By the pictures, it would appear the support structure has buckled. It needs to be bent back out and reinforced. So yeah, basically a big hammer would get it back in shape. And the rib is probably weakened so would need to be reinforced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the pictures, it would appear the support structure has buckled. It needs to be bent back out and reinforced. So yeah, basically a big hammer would get it back in shape. And the rib is probably weakened so would need to be reinforced.
i replaced the roof supports that were bent and broke. i have to insulate/glue the supports back to the roof. so far it makes a big difference:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts