The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I use Valvoline "Premium Blue Extreme" synthetic, 5W-40.

But only 'cause it comes in a cool blue bottle, and blue is my favorite color! Oh, and is says "Blue" in the name too...

~Al
No doubt about it...that blue bottle is nice.

Thanks for making this an enjoyable thread again. ?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Don't forget the bug cumminGs logo. That's gotta be worth some hp...
Side affects included but not limited to: mirrors flipped up, belching smoke, and slipping auto trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
What a goof. You should fire him.
Personally, from my own research, I wont run t6.
Few seem to have success with it, other trucks hate it.
Now OTOH, I don't know why you would go back to dino. But no reason you can't.

I went back to dino because my high performance motor runs like crap on synthetic. Took some time to figure out, but its too thin. I searched everywhere for synthetic in 15/40, but it does not exist, at least not in Canada, but I never found it anywhere. 5/40 does not work in my motor, and immediately after changing back to dino, it was fixed. Now heres another thing to chew on. Ive used both, I change it exactly on mileage, never miss or go over. The synthetic comes out cleaner than dino. This tells me the dino does a better job, and since its never been proven synthetic lubes better, this is the second reason I went back to dino. For me synthetic claims to last longer, but I never believed that and changed at same intervals. Reason being is I've had this truck a real long time. I can tell if something is up just by how it drives or sounds. I know when I'm close to an oil change just by how loud my injectors are and the motors performance itself. And synthetic gets noisy and clicky at the same mileage, telling me it breaking down at the same relative rate as the dino. So I see no advantage at all, and my truck don't like it.

So, now the part that hurts, I'm a bit of an environmentalist by heart. Synthetic is man made and better for the environment since its easily re cycled compared to dino. So it does hurt that I am not using the better for the environment product, but the fact my truck runs like crap on it forces me to pollute, so to speak. Sorry for that. Electric cars wont tow my backhoe. lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, now the part that hurts, I'm a bit of an environmentalist by heart. Synthetic is man made and better for the environment since its easily re cycled compared to dino. So it does hurt that I am not using the better for the environment product, but the fact my truck runs like crap on it forces me to pollute, so to speak. Sorry for that. Electric cars wont tow my backhoe. lol
That's totally incorrect!

Synthetic oils start out as/come from crude oil, JUST LIKE "REGULAR" OIL. They are just more highly modified before "becoming" the oil (base stocks) that you dump in your truck.

"Regular" oil is produced using the simpler refining methods (tower cracking) while "synthetics" are highly modified by reducing down to the molecular level, and then rearranged/reassembled to form the synthetic base stocks. If anything, it requires MORE energy (and time) to produce synthetic oil, so in the big scheme of things, you are likely polluting MORE by using it. That's one of the reasons it costs more too: It takes alot more to produce it.

Synthetic is no more recyclable (or "green") than regular base-stock (i.e. "dino") oil. The fact is, almost NO used motor oil is truly "recycled" and reused as a lubricant. It is collected, blended with other fuels, and burned for energy/electricity production. Yes, there are/were a few companies that do attempt to "re-refine" used motor oil, but not with much luck. I would never use it.

Lastly, almost everything we use in daily life has been made from, or contains something that came from: oil. Even the materials used to make the planet-saving electric cars, couldn't be made without OIL. It is truly the basis of modern life...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Lol you have more research to do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lol you have more research to do.
LOL, Really? I don't think so...

Which part? Making oil or recycling it? Perhaps a little elaboration on your part.

Unless we have come up with another source of hydrocarbons as rich as crude oil (and/or natural gas)...

"Synthetic" oil is a "man-made" material (hence the term "synthetic"), but since it is nothing but a complex hydrocarbon compound, and oil is still one of the richest sources of hydrocarbons. Crude is still the primary starting-source for synthetic base stocks. Yes, they are now converting natural gas into a super-pure oil base stock. But the process is still in its infancy and is VERY expensive. But it holds promise as the future of synthetic oil and fuels. However, natural gas is/was largely a by-product of oil production (they used to throw it away), but now it is captured and processed. More profit to be made...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Is anyone using the Harvest King motor oil sold at Rural King? On a search (another site) a thread came up that the user called Blacstone and talked to a tech who said the Harvest King was as good as any other diesel oil if scheduled maintenance (oil changes) is performed.
Harvest King is considered a decent oil for the price point but its a discount oil and not like a M1 product with exceptional additive package. I would not run extended OCI with this. Its one of those no frills lubricants you find at Ag Supply stores and is geared towards farmers who don’t want to pay more for a pretty blue bottle.

An even better manufacturer of Ag lubricants is the Mystik Product line...I think they are both Citgo products.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If a injector builder explicitly states to avoid a certain oil, I'm inclined to believe it's for very good reason.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
79jasper
Could it be because they do not have the knowledge to build a proper injector that can handle the oil a stock injector can?>:) Just poking a stick at the fire:grin2:Over the years I have run several brands and types of oil. The 7.3 can be sensitive to oil weight and type. The only oil I have had foam on me after 4,000mi was Motorcraft oil. The same truck ran AMSOIL for 20,000 miles (extended drain with bypass filter) and several other oils with no problems. I had a early 7.3 that would start fine but not run well until until warm (symptoms occurred 30 degrees and colder), problem solved with changing to a lighter weight oil. I am currently running the blue stuff in my 7.3 , my 12 valve Cummins, Bobcat, ATV's and lawn mower. BMW and honda generator get mobil 1 0w40. I try to keep it down to only one or two types of oil with that many engines (also have two planes to maintain but that is another forum). I was looking at going to the T6 this year because of price but found a OK deal on the blue stuff.

When it comes to oil I would have to agree with ARTIC most properly rated should do the job. The 7.3 has always been a oil sensitive engine from the start. Lots of foaming issues back in the day, I would not be surprised to hear a rebuilt/modded injector would have issues also. So pick a oil for whatever reason, (friends advice, forum hype, brand loyal, price, whatever.) and give it a try. If the truck is not happy with it then treat it like a bad bottle of beer and get another brand.
DENNY

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Since Amazon is taking over the world, might as well switch to this now- http://a.co/d/cqwUj8e

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tribologist. That's a new one for me, so I looked it up.

"The science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion."

Now I'm ready for the next backyard barbecue when the conversation sags . . . :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Tribologist. That's a new one for me, so I looked it up.

"The science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion."

Now I'm ready for the next backyard barbecue when the conversation sags . . .
Oh yeah, thats sure to get the party started.

·
Super Moderator
25,434 Posts
Since Amazon is taking over the world, might as well switch to this now- http://a.co/d/cqwUj8e
I'm not likely to start using "Amazon" oil (they probably refuse to ship it to me anyway - at any price), so they're not taking over MY world.:thdown: I get my DELO 400 (non-synthetic) from the local distributor, or from Costco.

BTW, synthetic oils date back to before WW2 when Germany developed the Fischer-Tropsch process - making oil from Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen gas.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hello everyone, Just an update from my original post: I ended up buying and switching over to Rotella T6. I have drove it long enough now to get a feel for how the 7.3L runs with it, starts easy, motor isn’t any louder than with the previous conventional oil, and no oil consumption or leaks.

I bought the 2.5 gallon jugs (4) that Tractor Supply had a good sale on and just received my $70.00 rebate in the mail from Shell.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If switching back to a dino oil after using a syn oil would spin bearings. Do you know what kind of lawsuits there would be.

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have run Rotella in my truck all its life. I have 403,000 miles and it has original turbo, original injectors, and original HPOP. I think that speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I have run Rotella in my truck all its life. I have 403,000 miles and it has original turbo, original injectors, and original HPOP. I think that speaks for itself.
That is really great.

How often do you change your Rotella and which viscosity?

Thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts