The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just went to napa to pick up some oil and filters. They told me Rotella 15-40 is being phased out and being replaced by Synthetic. I have only run Rotella in my 2 trucks and do not want to change, but if Rotella is being phased out which oil should I change to? I know there will be lots of differing opinions, but I want to stay with similar specs. as the rotella as it has served me well.

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
I've ran Valvoline 15w40 in my truck since it was new. Started with All Fleet 15w40 and now Premium Blue 15w40.

Reactions: Yurre

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
The NAPA guys might be speaking for products they will carry in the future but I don’t think Shell discusses their product development with NAPA parts counter guys any earlier than they release the news to the rest of us consumers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hard to understand or believe Shell would quit making Rotella T4 15W-40 when it is the top seller at truck stops & on Walmart shelves.

I am with ArcticDriver. Just does not make financial sense. Follow the money!

Reactions: VWrabbitdiesel1982

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Just go to Tractor Supply they have plenty.

Reactions: VWrabbitdiesel1982

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
I have read “Supply Chain Issues” have been impacting all HDEOs as a result of no access to plastic containers and even limited inventory of the additive chemistry.

Who knows?

No doubt, pricing will also jump.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Is there some reason not to use full synthetic oil. I use nothing but in my 5 Fords.
$$$$$

That said I run T6 0/40 year round in every diesel I own. It costs more per litre but for my little fleet that doesn't put many hours on each year it means I can completely quit worrying about oil change calendar timing. Once I take out the unnecessary seasonal changes I would have to do on 15/40 I'm definitely money ahead. Rotella 15/40 gets pretty thick where I live for about 4 months out of the year. If I was putting on lots of hours year round it would be an entirely different calculation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there some reason not to use full synthetic oil. I use nothing but in my 5 Fords.
Old school, I've been using it for 450k miles don't want to stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, I just went to napa to pick up some oil and filters. They told me Rotella 15-40 is being phased out and being replaced by Synthetic. I have only run Rotella in my 2 trucks and do not want to change, but if Rotella is being phased out which oil should I change to? I know there will be lots of differing opinions, but I want to stay with similar specs. as the rotella as it has served me well.
I have read “Supply Chain Issues” have been impacting all HDEOs as a result of no access to plastic containers and even limited inventory of the additive chemistry.

Who knows?

No doubt, pricing will also jump.
I have a 2001 ford 7.3. If T5 or T6 is out do you have any idea what synthetic oil would work well as a replacement 🤔

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2001 ford 7.3. If T5 or T6 is out do you have any idea what synthetic oil would work well as a replacement 🤔
I have used non syn rotella for over 24yrs and don't want to change. just got back from tractor sply and they had zero shell rotella even though online it said they had stock. Personally I will keep on looking.
No reason for me to change.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I have a wholesale account with NAPA. The owner and wholesale manger told me that they received a letter from NAPA corporate with an attached letter from Shell that Rotella supply would be an issue for near foreseeable future as getting a needed chemical was becoming an issue. That was 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
My local Wal-Mart just got a large shipment of all Rotella flavors. Prior to this, the shelves were as empty as the baby formula section.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I like Rotella 5-20 for my old Towncars but I haven't seen it for over a year and I've looked plenty. So I guess the message is - "If you see it buy it". I used to try to buy pails of T6 under $100 canuck bux per pail but the last I've seen have been close to twice that. Probably going to have to just do it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
So, let me tell you a story. I recently investigated a fire at an oil distributor warehouse. The fire involved a vehicle inside the warehouse, located about 50 feet away from other items, but stacked nearby (remember that 50 feet) were CASES of T-4, and barrels and barrels of it too. The cases were undamaged, even the plastic shrinkwrap was unmelted. I offered to buy some of the oil but the owner told me that "due to heat exposure" the mother ship would not warranty the oil. So, Shrinkwrap will typically melt at 400-ish degrees, and it was undamaged.... I'd bet money that oil is still just fine.

Owner did offer this...he was told the shortages are due to "additive package shortages", and that his fall back supply was Sam's club. I just checked and I CAN order T-4, but not -5 or -6. So for next time...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just an observation, not a scientist. Synthetic oils were developed to help meet government emissions and mileage standards. As time goes on conventional oils may not meet standards at all and we may all be stuck using synthetic. The only people who like synthetic are the ones selling it but it is better for the environment.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Just an observation, not a scientist. Synthetic oils were developed to help meet government emissions and mileage standards. As time goes on conventional oils may not meet standards at all and we may all be stuck using synthetic. The only people who like synthetic are the ones selling it but it is better for the environment.
Not exactly, it is widely thought that Nasi Germany developed synthetic oils, on a large scale, as an alternative fuel when their conventional sources were made unavailable by the Allies.
In the 70's and 80's development was furthered as a fuel mileage enhancer. Remember the embargo and the fuel echonomy craze.
Continuing development of synthetic lubricants is often for its other attractive qualities, for instance ability to hold appropriate viscosity at higher temperatures and pressures.
Biggest threat to petroleum oils is, just my observation, electric vehicles.

Reactions: Yurre
1 - 19 of 19 Posts