The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here, Royal Purple seems to be about $3 a quart more expensive than Rotella t full synthetic. Which is the better oil?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Everyone I know who uses Synthetic swears by Mobil 1. But unless Synthetic is specified, you shouldn't use it, especially if you have any leaks. It costs three to four times as much for twice as much life, and it's literally about ten times as bad for the environment if you drip it. Synthetic isn't specified for anything on these pickups.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect information floating around about synthetic lubricants. If you are interested in the facts, look at the information found on noria.com or reliabilityweb.com. These sites are industrial related, but the information is still available there.

I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ on synthetic oil unless you are using oil analysis and kidney loop filtration with a filter that has at least a beta ratio of 200. With both additional filtration and analysis, you should be able to increase you lube life much more than 2x.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect information floating around about synthetic lubricants.
For sure. First to go around was the internet B.S. that synthetics cause leaks or increased existing leaks.
noria.com or reliabilityweb.com
Interesting sites, thanks for posting.
Synthetic isn't specified for anything on these pickups.
Synthetic IS recommended for differentials and transmissions nowdays although these pickups didn't come off the factory floor with it. IIRC Ford started using it in the mid or late '90's models.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect information floating around about synthetic lubricants.
I didn't share any, though. Unless you add an additional/upgraded filter which more or less requires a remote mount on these trucks due to short clearance for the filter, there's no point to synthetic. And it really is DRAMATICALLY worse for the environment (not for the planet, just for the part we like!) because it takes so very much longer to break down. I said nothing about causing or exacerbating leaks.

I do plan to put synthetic in my diffs, but not until I replace the seals. But since you have to do that to drain the sterling anyway... It's only my TTB that has to wait, for the next major service.

·
Registered
819 Posts
THe RP is going to have better batch consistancy and quality control than Rotella, but unless you have a fresh rebuild, don't just switch straight over to any synthetic without properly preraring teh engine. Depending on engine mileage run a treatment or more of Auto Rx through the thing and then switch it over. This will prevent the synthetic from knocking large chunks of carbon loose where they can clog oil passages

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Anything wrong with just using seafoam? Or for that matter, a little gasoline, since seafoam is little more than gas+diesel?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Anything wrong with just using seafoam? Or for that matter, a little gasoline, since seafoam is little more than gas+diesel?
Seafoam is one of those fast flushes that can knock large chunks of carbon loose and cause great problems. Only safe in very low mileage engines.
To put this in perspective, I've been using and selling Amsoil for over 25 years. I won't use their fast flush either when converting customers cars, I only use the Auto Rx. In all these years, I've only had carbon chunks cut loose and cause a problem once with a blocked lifter and thankfully it was my vehicle, and that was before Auto Rx hit the market. I won't use anything else since. It takes a lot longer to clean out the engine, but it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

For the last 16,000 miles (since I've owned the truck) I have run Castrol GTX Diesel 15w30 with two quarts of Lucas oil stabilizer, changed every 3,000 miles, and about two months ago I topped off with about half a pint of seafoam. Has this accomplished what the auto rx would? I would like to go ahead and switch over to synthetic on my next oil change if it won't hurt the engine. By the way, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "low mileage" but the truck only has 86,000 miles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to add, I've also used Lucas fuel treatment in every tank since I bought the truck two years ago. Not sure if that makes a difference in this case.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

For the last 16,000 miles (since I've owned the truck) I have run Castrol GTX Diesel 15w30 with two quarts of Lucas oil stabilizer, changed every 3,000 miles, and about two months ago I topped off with about half a pint of seafoam. Has this accomplished what the auto rx would? I would like to go ahead and switch over to synthetic on my next oil change if it won't hurt the engine. By the way, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "low mileage" but the truck only has 86,000 miles.
Seafoam *shouldn't* ( hopefully) cause any problems with an engine that young, but it is not going to accomplish the same thing as Auto Rx would. Auto rx does a deep cleaning over time that doesnt' just knock the surface stuff off, it gets all the old built up varnish out of the ring grooves and all teh real hard baked on stuff gets slowly dissolved out, and on top of that it conditions the seals as it cleans them out so you have nice tight seals again, otherwise you will likely be seeping synthetic out around your seals for a while. It can find the smallest gaps and work it's way out. Most all synthetics will over time condition the seals by themselves to where the leaks will stop, but it's an expensive process dumping that stuff on the ground needlessly, when you could have prepared for it ahead of time and then not had the leak problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seafoam is one of those fast flushes that can knock large chunks of carbon loose and cause great problems. Only safe in very low mileage engines.
To put this in perspective, I've been using and selling Amsoil for over 25 years. I won't use their fast flush either when converting customers cars, I only use the Auto Rx. In all these years, I've only had carbon chunks cut loose and cause a problem once with a blocked lifter and thankfully it was my vehicle, and that was before Auto Rx hit the market. I won't use anything else since. It takes a lot longer to clean out the engine, but it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most hilarious statement ever, large chunks of carbon, fast flushes...….Brother, seafoam DISSOLVES DEPOSITES...….So please quit the BS>…..

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
You win the “resurrect the oldest thread” award for the week! Congratulations! You just admonished a ten year old post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bugman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts