The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van has ~145,000 miles with the same rotors and calipers. I replaced the pads with Hawk's a few years ago and everything is working fine; as far as I know. What is the life that others are getting out of these parts? I priced Motorcraft calipers and they are ~$100 each. Anyone rebuilt their calipers or do you just replace them?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have not had to replace the front calipers yet, 250k miles.
Did have to change the right rear caliper @ 195k.
Left rear caliper is original.

I change the brake fluid every year, I think that helps make these parts last longer.

Had to replace the brake booster @ 212k, and while I had it off, changed the master cylinder, even though it was not bad.

I keep a spare set of rotors, machined & ready to go, to minimize down time.
Frank

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When I did my fronts with new pads, had to replace a caliper on front, I got a NAPA. I'm not thrilled with getting aftermarket stuff for brakes. I do how ever really like the Hawk pads.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Frank, thanks for the information. On the 2 calipers that you did replace, what indicators did they present that let you know that it was time?

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks born. What indications did you have that led you to install the new caliper?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pistons stuck
put much heat into the rotor
rotor transferred heat to floating axle hub
melted axle lube seal
leaking axle lube was the clue that the caliper pistons were stuck!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I could not get the bleeder unfroze. I heated soaked etc... I then attempted to remove to put in new bleeder, but that did not happen either. Otherwise I would have still used the same caliper. I did put new slider pins & boots on both sides.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the information.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Clev, I have around 160k on the ticker and my van is usually @ 8300 lbs, the only problem I've had with brakes is my right rear usually wears faster and 2 years ago, I replaced that rotor. Seems like it might be due to farthest distance. I've bled them and checked for even loading but still wears a little faster than the rest. Not terrible though considering the weight. I run heavy duty pads but not ceramics. Guzzle has a nice write up on cleaning and lubing Ford caliper slides on his modifications and maintenance pages which are linked to the dieselOrings site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I apologize for initially posting this in wrong forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts