The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed Rough Country's 30 inch dual setup less than 2 months ago and one of the lights already has condensation behind the lens. The condensation is along the entire length of the light bar. It looks like a cheap light bar now. If I hadn't already cut my grill in order to install these lights I wouldn't do it. I am very disappointed.

Is this normal for these lights? Rough Country told me it was normal for their light bars to get condensation. Sounds like BS to me.

This is Rough Country's response to me:
"It is common for the lights to get condensation in them. Will need to run them for a little bit and it will clear up. The lights are vented. "

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I'd disagree it's "normal". Their saying the heat from running the LEDs will remove the condensation thru the vent.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
They do draw power...that power will produce heat across the circuit boards the LEDs are mounted. It's not going to burn your hand but there is heat there. Maybe those HUGE fins on the back are for decoration??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is this normal for these lights? Rough Country told me it was normal for their light bars to get condensation. Sounds like BS to me.

"
Somewhere in the specs for the lights you should have checked to see if they are IP67 (waterproof and dustproof) spec'd LEDs... If they are (and it's not listed on the Rough Country website, a dead giveaway) then they should be waterproof and there should be no moisture inside the lenses...
Their warranty states:
This product features Rough Country's Lifetime Replacement Warranty. All products are warranted to be free from defects in material and craftsmanship for the life of the vehicle if utilized in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation of said products. For complete details and coverage information please click here.
I would raise Holy Hell with them if they don't stand behind their product(s), which for LED's, are most likely Chinese made... If they don't honor their warranty, I would make sure the whole world knows what you think of them... I had actually looked at that very same product until I read your experience... Also, just FYI, I have 3 LED Lightbars from OPT7, 2 - 22"-ers and a 14"-er on my SXS... All are in Colorado's High Country, all get used in winter weather here 8 months out of the year, and all are bone dry inside... They are IP 67 rated waterproof and dustproof...........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely not normal. It may not cause any issues to the LED's but I would imagine they will not last as long as a sealed waterproof light bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Question to you that have light bars installed in your grill:
Do the light bars block air flow enough that there is a coolong problem? I would like to do this, but I tow heavy & cooling is always a concern.
Also - I would like to wire my LED lights to my #1 upfitter switch, but I would also like to be able to activate/deactivate the lights with the dimmer switch (with the #1 upfitter switch in the "on" position). Has anyone done this? I would appreciate any info or guidance on how to hook the lights up this way.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also - I would like to wire my LED lights to my #1 upfitter switch, but I would also like to be able to activate/deactivate the lights with the dimmer switch (with the #1 upfitter switch in the "on" position). Has anyone done this? I would appreciate any info or guidance on how to hook the lights up this way.
I have used these dimmer controls on my inside led trailer lights and they work GREAT!
I would just use this to control your lights as they are tiny, have and off and on, and dimming control.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm sorry, but my question showed my southern roots. When I said "dimmer switch" I meant high beam/low beam switch.
As you can tell, I speak perfectly unaccented Texan. ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Duh, I should have read that closer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
'Anyone?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question to you that have light bars installed in your grill:
Do the light bars block air flow enough that there is a coolong problem? I would like to do this, but I tow heavy & cooling is always a concern.
I think I have a solution for you.

If you were to follow this diagram the upfitter switch would turn your LED lights on, and when you turned on your high beams they would shut off even while the upfitter switch was still on.

You can get these 5 pin relays from most auto parts stores.
Or here is a link for Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Darn image is kind of small, I will have to redo it and enlarge everything.

Here is a larger image. The compression on this site really strips the images down to a super small file size.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I personally got my lights off of fleabay, I just shopped for the right size in IP67 rating, they all look the same anyways and were substantially cheaper. so much so if the crap out in a year I can replace them with the same thing and still have half the $ invested as opposed to a name brand. Going on 2 years now without a single problem.

I have mine wired so I can turn them off, automatic with high beams and on all the time.

I used a 3 way switch (on-off-on)
one on position is direct power from the fuse block, The other on is fed by a wire spliced into the high beam wire behind the headlight, then the ground goes to and activates a relay that turns on the lights.
In the fuse block I came off of the radio fuse, thus they work if the ignition is in position 1(aka glow plugs and all that jazz not going) but is not powered when i forget turn them off and go in for the night when i take the keys out.

I wanted to have the ability to turn them on without the high beams on so if I'm using them as work lights it is not drawing down my batteries as much.
The auto with the high beams is a given.
And being able to turn them off in the event i have to trouble shoot something and the fact that these lights are technically not legal for on road use(if the law wants to give you a hard time)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts