The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Tremor Running Boards to install on my to be ordered Lariat (non Tremor). Since the mounting studs are already going to be there (thanks everyone!), I thought I would get nuts and washers with the running boards. I did not.

So for my questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what type of nuts and washers to use (I don't know if they need to be a specific type of material to avoid corrosion).
2) What is the torque spec for the nuts that hold the running boards to the body?

Thanks as always...

Shamish

·
Super Moderator
25,874 Posts
I'd use plated hardware and shoot some undercoating on them after installation to deal with corrosion issues. Coat them liberally to include the exposed threads of the studs.
As far as torque, not knowing the size of the studs, I'd refer to a torque spec chart by size for the lowest grade fasteners. Here's a couple of references.
SAE Torque Chart
Metric Torque Chart

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd use plated hardware and shoot some undercoating on them after installation to deal with corrosion issues. Coat them liberally to include the exposed threads of the studs.
As far as torque, not knowing the size of the studs, I'd refer to a torque spec chart by size for the lowest grade fasteners. Here's a couple of references.
SAE Torque Chart
Metric Torque Chart
Thanks for the chart. The nuts are M8 electroplated and I did not realize the tourque spec was so low. I will try to figure out if the nuts (they are the Ford ones) are 5.6 or 8.8 or just go with the lower torque reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts