The Diesel Stop banner

Running rough also

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  frmrdieseldriver 
If I'm understanding the thread correctly, your harness is burnt on the inside. That harness is available (comes with pins and connectors) and not too expensive - NAPA carries them. The VC gasket comes with the connectors.

The only pins you should have to replace are on the external wiring harness (which is expensive and goes all over!). I have soldered and heat-shrinked (shrunk?) those with very good success.

By the way, if you get the external harness connector kit without pins, it comes with a removal tool. You can remove the good pins from the under-cover harness (your burnt one) and they are the same exact pins that the external wiring harness uses. I was unable to get new pins and salvaged a couple of these for my replacement job and a couple for the tool box for future needs.

While you're there, be sure to check your Glow Plug resistances - with the VC off, you're 90% there!

Oh, and there's nothing on the outside of our engines that's hot enough to melt solder (even under the VC's)...it takes 400 degrees-F for the lowest melting point electrical solder I know of. Again, I've used solder on engine wiring a lot and never had anything melt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.