The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I decided to change the oil after everything was done and the oil had electrical burning smell. I filled 'er up and ran 'er again, then removed the oil cap and smoke came out of the valve cover.
Just before I removed the oil cap, I checked resistance through the front passenger VCH and the GP prongs read .001. What does this mean? I know enough about electrical to just get by or really hurt myself...
I pulled out 3 gp's on the driver's side when replacing the harnesses and VCG and they looked fine. The resistance to the gp's were around 1.0 ohms. Isn't this where they're supposed to be.
Also checked to see how long the GPR cycled after running 2 miles down the road and then idling for a few minutes. It stayed on for about a minute. Shouldn't it have shut of before then. D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifoes this sound like the EOT sensor is faulty. it was replaced years ago

[ QUOTE ]
Also checked to see how long the GPR cycled after running 2 miles down the road and then idling for a few minutes. It stayed on for about a minute. Shouldn't it have shut of before then. D oes this sound like the EOT sensor is faulty. it was replaced years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 96 probably has a NAW4 code PCM (mine does) The glow plug logic on that code sucks. I'm in Phoenix and it can be 115* and if I shut the truck off with a hot motor and start it again while it's still hot the GP will activate again for well over a minute. That code just doesn't take EOT into consideration when it lights the plugs. The later TDE1 and TDE0 codes have much better logic.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
found another burnt harness on passenger front. I think I understand now what happened. My brother drove this truck for 2 years without ever replacing the GPR. He just plugged it in to start it when it got cold. It turns out most of the GPs were bad. Ones on passenger side look like were full of carbon deposit from never getting cycled. I should have listened to Rick with first post!! Probably wouldn't have had to buy the other VC & UVCH! I can do that repair with my eyes closed now. LOL. Just need to figure out the pull to the right now and I'm all set.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.