The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 F350...

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this problem and might know what's going on. Truck was running fine, started bucking, then all of a sudden died like it was out of fuel. If you immediately try to restart it, it won't start, but if you wait a few minutes it will then start and run normal for a minute or so then eventually throw an injector code #1 or #7, then die after another 30 seconds, like it's running out of fuel. You can do this exact scenario over and over. Bad fuel pump? The top fuel filter was checked, it looks fine.

When you initially turn the key on before you start it you can hear the glowplugs and also hear what I believe is the fuel pump. The fuel pump sounds strong initially but fades fast, not like the normal sound when turning the key on.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
So the top filter looks fine, what about the primary filter on the frame rail? When was the last time it was changed?

Did this start after the last time you filled up with fuel? Have you checked for water in the HFCM?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you turn the key on you should hear the injectors buzz for a few seconds and the fuel pump under the cab will run for around 20sec. You can hear the pump change tone as pressure builds.

I had a '05 450 a month ago doing pretty much the same thing. Turns out the fuel pressure regulator spring weakened and the low fuel pressure killed the injectors. I upgraded to the blue spring and the fuel press came up but it still ran like **** and would feel like it was losing it's prime. Was getting contribution codes for 2 cyls on the right bank.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Try to wiggle the wire harness were it runs by the turbo and around the oil filter housing. It gets real hot around the turbo area you may have some wire chaffing. You will here the fuel pump till it builds up pressure then it shuts off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed both fuel filters, still the same issue. Brought it into the diesel shop... bad o-ring on injector #7. This truck leaves me stranded at least once a year, usually with injector issues. I think it's time to dump it. Nothing like sitting in Yellowstone Park for 3 hours with no cell service, waiting for a ranger to drive by.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This sounds like you are getting combustion gases into the fuel rail. When fuel pressure drops too low, the high pressure oil system raises pressure to inject more fuel. By raising the high pressure oil, it bottoms out the intensifier piston in the injector and physically damages the injector internally and allows combustion gases into fuel rail. When monitoring power balance, you will see the cylinder with the damaged injector miss first, followed by the other 3 on the affected bank, until the engine stalls. You will need to check for combustion gas in the fuel, Ford's test is the "balloon test", but an easier and just as effective test is to use the fuel pressure/flow tester Ford supplies to dealers...it has a clear hose on it and if there is combustion gas present, the fuel will be aerated in the clear hose. After replacing the damaged injector, update fuel pressure regulator and verify fuel pressure is in spec.

·
Registered
670 Posts
This sounds like you are getting combustion gases into the fuel rail. When fuel pressure drops too low, the high pressure oil system raises pressure to inject more fuel. By raising the high pressure oil, it bottoms out the intensifier piston in the injector and physically damages the injector internally and allows combustion gases into fuel rail. When monitoring power balance, you will see the cylinder with the damaged injector miss first, followed by the other 3 on the affected bank, until the engine stalls. You will need to check for combustion gas in the fuel, Ford's test is the "balloon test", but an easier and just as effective test is to use the fuel pressure/flow tester Ford supplies to dealers...it has a clear hose on it and if there is combustion gas present, the fuel will be aerated in the clear hose. After replacing the damaged injector, update fuel pressure regulator and verify fuel pressure is in spec.
X2 on the combustion in fuel. Has happened to me twice so far. Every time that I had it when I popped the top fuel filter there was a pressure release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.