The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 2004 6.0L with 268K miles on it. Engine died on road. Was towed to shop, where it was determined that the hpop failed. The hpop was replaced, along with the regulator. Now, with almost 4K miles since then, it is still running rough, like running on 4 cylinders, for maybe 10 minutes of driving. Then it starts to runs normal. The mechanic that did the work said it may take up to 5K miles of driving for it to clear out. He told my dad about a product to put in the oil, it comes in a 2qt bottle and costs $30. Anyone have any ideas as to why it does this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like it may be injector stiction. Archoil AR9100 or equivalent with synthetic oil, should help it smooth out.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Find a new shop. It does not take 5000 miles to get an engine to smooth out after an HPOP replacement.

I did mine, after it fired the only reason it ran rough was an injector plug was loose. Beyond that, it only took about 10 minutes idling in the drive way to smooth out.

Could be a number of reasons it is running rough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shop advised him to use the stiction additive at $30 for a 2qt bottle. Still no change after extended use. Brought back to shop that did the pump, where they said it needs #3 injector. This was last week. Haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update... The shop replaced #3 injector, which didn't fix the issue with running rough for the first 5 minutes or so of driving. The shop owner decided to invest in a $3000 diagnostic program, which he used to reprogram the ecm. Has been running perfectly since. Starts right up, no missing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with what was said above I wouldn't take it to that shop 5000 miles to purge air from the hpop system is beyond miss informed. It takes about 30 mins running hard. I normally give my customers truck back with 5 miles on the OD and they say it ran smooth and started right up. The injector #3 might have been miss firing from a stiction issue. Replacing is the fastest way to clear that up the additive is prolly rev-x I've heard that it works never tried it my self.

Good for the shop investing in the set up deft worth it. Hard to tell a customer that we as techs/shops that we would like to update software in there comp for X(amount) and that might not fix it but that the software is out of datebook and should be updated a lot of people think we are trying to just take money from them. Some times there's a tsb for a concern and the updated software might clear that up and should be preformed 1st.

Any way as to hear it's running again. Love my 6.OH-NO ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts