The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, it has been a while since I have been around. Been a bit busy with trying to get a new house build started, and learning about Kubota Tractors, Ford Backhoes and other heavy equipment. Fun and therapeutic to say the least, like working on our trucks.....

Well, it finally happened. The '04 Ex that we picked up last hear after our '03 was totaled decided to blow the oil cooler yesterday....

Partially my fault, but that is beside the point now. About 8-10 weeks ago I noticed some slight pucking on the degas bottle, so I immediately took it form my wife and said do not drive until I delete the EGR. It took me a few days longer than expected to tear it down because I had a major issue with the back turbo bolt. Once I got it apart, I thought to myself, should I do the oil cooler now as well??? (and I should have), but decided that we would drive it first for a week or two and see how it did. Since that EGR was deleted, no issue and no pucking. Drive the truck an a trip to Atlanta (5 hrs) and to Virginia (8 hrs) with no problems.

Well, yesterday it let go when my wife was 2.5 hours from home. She said it never overheated and never ran funny, but the fan was kicking on quite a bit in the last 15 minutes of her trip.

Once I arrived, I say all the the milky/coffee looking sludge all over the drivers side of the engine bay. I pulled the dipstick and other than the oil level being extremely low, there is no sign of moisture in the oil

So, I will now be doing an oil cooler and a thorough coolant system flush. However, what is the consensus on a ruptured oil cooler meaning a bad head gasket. We have never had a problem with this truck overheating and once the EGR was gone, no pucking was present. The EGR was definetly blown as the inside and the EGR valve was full of damp soot.

I plan to just perform the flush, replace the oil cooler and get the coolant filter kit installed. My hopes are that I will be ok on the head gaskets for another year or two until I can go through each of my 3 trucks to complete the bulletproofing and get the studs installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Your standard maybe, maybe not situation. I'd replace the OC and see. If you're doing the work yourself all you'd be out is the extra time to pull it back apart if it did turn out to also need HGs.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, that was my thoughts as well. Of course I will do the work myself. Do you mean to suggest that there are people that drive these trucks pay others to work on them....? I find that very difficult to believe. :surprise::surprise::surprise:

But seriously, since I am trying to get my house build out of the ground, if I can get the OC replaced and buy another year, then the body will lift up and the powerplant will get the love and attention it deserves with all the upgrades.... Then then next one.... then the wrecked one will get rebuilt and live again....:ford:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts