The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
My camper A/C barfed the other day. Fortunately we were able to wuss out and go to a motel.

I came across THIS as I was trying to find a replacement capacitor.

It's called a "Hard Start Capacitor," and I was wondering if anyone had any experience. The manufacturer ( Supco ) looks like they are a large outfit that is legitimate. The seller's website HERE is "interesting." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Probably either the best thing since sliced bread, or the worst...

Art

·
Registered
34 Posts
It will work if it's the compressor cap bad.. Some shakers have a split cap one side runs the fan and the other runs the compressor.
The hard start is for the compressor and works great if you have one that is hard to start or going bad. My advise get the right cap for it. There will be numbers on it like 35mfd or on a split 5/30mfd. Something like that. Most any hvac, appliance, granger ect will have them in stock.

Andy

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't make the question clear enough. I realize I could just get a new starter cap (it's separate and only one section). The unit is a Coleman Mach "Polar Cub."

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these "Hard Start" solutions, or if it was just more "Mouse Milk." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

Spid

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hard starts work if the compressor isn't bad and is having trouble starting (ie bad bearing, weak motor etc). If you have a bad capacitor, replace it with the same microfarad and vac rating. If you need a Hard start, change compressor as soon as possible. It could work for awhile then leave you stranded.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Not mouse milk...they are used all the time in the a/c industry. Helps old compressors get started just like some of use old geesers!! It provides an extra umpfh to get things going. You might try also buying a new cap to replace the old one. I don't think it will hurt anything if use in conjunction with the orig. start cap.

JMHO.........

Paul B

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I finally discovered that the compressor has (er, had...) a hard-start kit already. Unfortunately, all the smoke leaked out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's a Coleman, and the burned-up cap has an extra little device about the size of a postage stamp in series with one of the capacitor terminals. After two days, I finally learned that this device is a PTCR (positive temperature coefficient resistor) which contols current into the "Start" capacitor.

The only place I could find one was at Camping World.

So, the AC had a hard start kit all along, at least till the smoke escaped. I'll just replace the parts and get on with it.

Thanks again.
Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts