The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new F350 Diesel. Love it. I have 700 miles on it now and it is so much nicer than my 2003 F250. Anyway, I fueled up at COSTCO day before yesterday. Today I got the water in fuel warning. When I got home, I crawled under the truck and drained the Fuel Conditioner. The fuel was cloudy. I let it settle in the catch basin and emptied it into a jug about 3 hours later. The fuel was still cloudy (Mountain Dew) and had about 4 oz of water at the bottom.

I drove the tuck another 16 miles and emptied it again. The warning light did not come on but I still got mountain dew and 2 oz of water with no settling time. I found a small amount of water just under the fuel filler cap but we had some heavy rain yesterday.

I guess I will be draining it every trip until it comes clean. Anyone know of locking fuel or DEF caps? I have also set up a game cam in my driveway 15ft from the truck in case some one is ticked at me for whatever reason. I'm a 49 yo family guy who doesn't go around pissing people off. At least that's what I thought.:frown2:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Locking green fuel cap is your friend, if your lift pump breaks and rust is found, well i hope you dont go that route!

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I have the Stant locking fuel caps. I use the green ones with DIESEL stamped on them.

No issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would maybe avoid Costco fuel. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Costco has Diesel fuel where you live....:surprise: I have never seen that at any Costco, my wife and daughter both work for them and mentioned in the past they may add it some day

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! Maybe you did piss someone off.... by getting a shiny new truck.... lots of jealousy in the world.

I use the same cap as Arctic. I am on my second one as the lock pulled out of the plastic on the first one which was only about a year old. I suggest some kind of lube in the lock cylinder, they really are nasty to operate with the key.

We don't have Diesel at our Costco in my city but I know there is at the one in London, ON 2-3 hours away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Costco fuel

Costco has Diesel fuel where you live....:surprise: I have never seen that at any Costco, my wife and daughter both work for them and mentioned in the past they may add it some day

They updated our entire fuel island here at our Costco. It is really nice since there are 8 lanes (24 pumps) and each one has diesel. Since I have filled up there each time since I have had the truck, I'm thinking there might be a reason Costco fuel is $.20 cents cheaper per gallon. They cut it with water. I guess I will be taking a glass jug down there from now on to get a sample before filling up. Thanks for all the info everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
They updated our entire fuel island here at our Costco. It is really nice since there are 8 lanes (24 pumps) and each one has diesel. Since I have filled up there each time since I have had the truck, I'm thinking there might be a reason Costco fuel is $.20 cents cheaper per gallon. They cut it with water. I guess I will be taking a glass jug down there from now on to get a sample before filling up. Thanks for all the info everyone.
To find that amount of water in fuel anywhere is surprising but every Costco I have ever seen is always busy so they would have a rapid turnover of diesel fuel I would have thought. i did fill up a little plastic water bottle when I would fuel up following Hurricane Irma. I never did find any problem fuel but that would have allowed me a quick method of holding the particular retailer responsible.

I use the same cap as Arctic. I am on my second one as the lock pulled out of the plastic on the first one which was only about a year old. I suggest some kind of lube in the lock cylinder, they really are nasty to operate with the key.
Good to learn about the lock tumbler failure...I will PM mine.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Just bought a brand new F350 Diesel. Love it. I have 700 miles on it now and it is so much nicer than my 2003 F250. Anyway, I fueled up at COSTCO day before yesterday. Today I got the water in fuel warning. When I got home, I crawled under the truck and drained the Fuel Conditioner. The fuel was cloudy. I let it settle in the catch basin and emptied it into a jug about 3 hours later. The fuel was still cloudy (Mountain Dew) and had about 4 oz of water at the bottom.

I drove the tuck another 16 miles and emptied it again. The warning light did not come on but I still got mountain dew and 2 oz of water with no settling time. I found a small amount of water just under the fuel filler cap but we had some heavy rain yesterday.

I guess I will be draining it every trip until it comes clean. Anyone know of locking fuel or DEF caps? I have also set up a game cam in my driveway 15ft from the truck in case some one is ticked at me for whatever reason. I'm a 49 yo family guy who doesn't go around pissing people off. At least that's what I thought.:frown2:
Since you are no stranger to diesels I think you know this but to clarify for future readers its supposed to look like Mountain Dew in color. Its just not supposed to be "cloudy" or milky.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah, but he actually has water settling out--something big time wrong. I have used Costco diesel in CO with no problem.
If it were my truck, with only one fillup and that much water, I would be right back at Costco and take a sample from the pump. Too bad you did not have a dealer verify the water--with one fillup at Costco, and the receipt, bet they would be jumping to do something about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was there a Tanker Truck filling up the tanks when you filled up. I NEVER fill up if I see a tanker dumping fuel in the underground tanks. Always heard they stir up all the crap in the tanks then you suck them in if you will up when they dump.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It can. Theoretically they have filters that will catch the crap.
But it would be likely they don't get changed often.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Yeah, but he actually has water settling out--something big time wrong. I have used Costco diesel in CO with no problem.
If it were my truck, with only one fillup and that much water, I would be right back at Costco and take a sample from the pump. Too bad you did not have a dealer verify the water--with one fillup at Costco, and the receipt, bet they would be jumping to do something about it.
If the source of water is from the Costco diesel then there will be several other diesel truck owners with the same issue so I would check with Costco to find out if they have been notified of a problem. I would also check the local diesel shops to find out if others have had a recent problem. I would also look on local truck forums or VW TDI forums for any similar experiences. Costco fuel pumps are almost always busy so the OP will not be the only person with this issue.

It is a significant amount of water in fuel. This is not a common occurance in the US today because of mitigation efforts in place over the past decade.

If I were the OP I would be putting in two products by Power Service and typically added to fuel storage tanks. One removes water and the other is a biocide. I would add these to my truck tank to stop future issues with microbial growth.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sitting to long.

Well, I should apologize. There is a better than average chance that it wasn't Costco at all. I purchased a truck that has been sitting around since July (Build date). More than enough time for what little fuel it had to go bad. The dealer topped it off from less than a 1/4 to full. So for that, I apologize to Costco and you all for the misleading post.

I did go down to Costco and fill a glass growler 2/3 with Diesel before getting yelled at by the attendant since it wasn't an approved container. Poor fella about had a heart attack until I told him it's only diesel. Anyway, the fuel in the glass jug looked beautiful.

I siphoned 15 gallons out of the truck and drained the separator. I replaced the old stuff with fuel from another name brand station. I will be draining the separator tomorrow to see what there is to see. If it runs clean, I will replace the filters and hopefully, no further issues.

Thanks for the ideas and help. You are all helping me figure this out. Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Well, I should apologize. There is a better than average chance that it wasn't Costco at all. I purchased a truck that has been sitting around since July (Build date). More than enough time for what little fuel it had to go bad. The dealer topped it off from less than a 1/4 to full. So for that, I apologize to Costco and you all for the misleading post.

I did go down to Costco and fill a glass growler 2/3 with Diesel before getting yelled at by the attendant since it wasn't an approved container. Poor fella about had a heart attack until I told him it's only diesel. Anyway, the fuel in the glass jug looked beautiful.

I siphoned 15 gallons out of the truck and drained the separator. I replaced the old stuff with fuel from another name brand station. I will be draining the separator tomorrow to see what there is to see. If it runs clean, I will replace the filters and hopefully, no further issues.

Thanks for the ideas and help. You are all helping me figure this out. Merry Christmas!
Thanks for providing the additional details.
Was the 15 gallons you siphoned the entire amount of fuel in the tank?
Did you find more water in the 15 gallons?

I would still be sure to run the two fuel treatment products that I posted earlier by Power Service.
There is a good chance you have microbial contamination if it sat all those months with water in the tank.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm curious if someone at the dealer accidentally put DEF in the fuel tank.
Happens more often than would you think. Lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still

Drained the separator again and have a quarter sized pool of water at the bottom of the jar. In addition, the fuel is still cloudy. I can actually see stuff floating in the fuel. Thanks for recommendation on the products. I will order some.

This issue is beyond what I think should be remedied by me. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to get this in the books in case it is something that may have after effects down the road. All that stuff has got to be clogging my filters and I don't know how much they can stand.

I'll let you guys know what they say tomorrow. At the very least they should replace my filters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, i'm screwed.

Took the truck to the dealer and they drained some fuel and sent a picture and info right to Ford. Ford says to remove and flush EVERYTHING that touches the fuel and replace a whole bunch of stuff, injectors included. The really awesome part (sarcastic) is that it's NOT covered under warranty since I have gotten fuel since I took delivery of the truck. I had a long discussion with the service adviser and a Ford tech. Here is what it boils down to:

Never get fuel at anything other than a "Name Brand" station. Costco,Fred Meyer, Arco all crap. Service Technician words not mine. I told him how I took a sample of fuel at Costco and it was beautiful. He of course came back with "You got a bad batch". I told him that no where in the owners manual does it say which stations to avoid.

Anyway, I siphoned more fuel from a new tank to continue to dilute what is in the tank and I am going to run it until "E". Then a fresh tank with some Diesel water remover and Stanadyne. I will empty the fuel water separator every 50 miles until no more water is found.

By the way, the repair by Ford would be around 12-13 GRAND. They did it recently for someone who put gas in their tank. It was covered under their insurance (comprehensive). I am pretty sure my coverage would take care of it but not positive.

The service adviser recommended I just get as much of the bad fuel out and run it down and put fresh fuel in it and just keep doing that. I have noticed nothing form the truck with regard to run-ability.

So the million dollar question is: Do I report this to my insurance and let them tear the truck down or do I keep on keeping on and change filters once I can get this to clear up? If I get a mechanical break down later, my insurance should cover it since I also have the breakdown insurance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts