The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
We just got hit with more snow today ...and that means SALT ...and Brine...these trucks have very poor rust protechion ... My friend owns a car wash ...but my truck is to big to run it threw ...there's a big truck wash in the area but even for my truck they want $75.00 to run it threw .
I now have resorted to mounting a oscillating sprinkler ...the one from your garden... I screwed it to a small piece of plywood and threw it under the truck ....WOW it worked great ...the neightbours thought that I was weard , but they also don't drive a $50,000 + truck and have it rust away , it cleaned all the crap off the underside .
Give it a try , I'm going to do this after every snow .
Later guys
Greg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

·
Registered
130 Posts
Crazy idea. Ingenious too. Seeing the corrosion on my 2001, I would recommend some proactivity for those living in salt-throwing states!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't see this working too well in the states where it stays below freezing most of the winter. My truck is heavy enough I don't need to add a few hundred pounds of ice to the frame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I put mine up on my lift and hose it off real good, but I am spoiled so I am told. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Supply the sprinkler with HOT water...Will probably work better and the neighbors will really freak!...LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
ROTFLMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Supply the sprinkler with HOT water...Will probably work better and the neighbors will really freak!...LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
ROTFLMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I actually do have a hot water valve for the "way below freezing but really need to wash the truck anyway" days. Just can't let the wife catch me using it . . . again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hey! I actually do have a hot water valve for the "way below freezing but really need to wash the truck anyway" days. Just can't let the wife catch me using it . . . again

[/ QUOTE ]
I have hot and cold water in the garage and outside by the hot tub also. The wife thought I was crazy when she saw me installing the pluming until we needed to give the girls, 2 Golden's, a bath. Works great for the cold weather we get up here, as long as I can keep my hose from freezing. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
279 Posts
Has anyone had that underbody protection stuff applied to their babies? I was think'n about that... but don't know much about it, and certainly don't want to spend the $$ if it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had that underbody protection stuff applied to their babies? I was think'n about that... but don't know much about it, and certainly don't want to spend the $$ if it ain't worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the truck was new and the coating applied correctly I guess it would work. I would not recommend coating a older truck, it will hold in all the moisture, dirt and corrosion all ready there. I would save the money or spend it on other mods. Just keep a eye on things and clean, sand and paint as necessary.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I gotta get back to Texas !

·
Registered
481 Posts
I live in Texas but I like to surf fish on Padre Island. I like this idea!

·
Registered
370 Posts
[Has anyone had that underbody protection stuff applied ...]

I had my van sprayed with Ziebart right after I got it from Quigely. It was brand new. With all the winter salt and time spent on the beach in the summer, I felt it was a good thing to do. I even used a rattle can of undercoating after the camper conversion was done on all the exposed screws that came through the floor. I plan on taking it a step further and have the rocker panels, door sils and bottom few inches of the doors/fenders sprayed with bed liner.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Like the sprinkler idea. I simply don't drive it in bad weather. That means moth balling it from December to April here in Connecticut. You guys are worrying about salt.... Mine hasn't seen ANY moisture in 18 months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Good luck

tginz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, considering that we use more salt on our roads then the rest of the world combined... we know rust... and undercoating. It is well worth it, nobody I know would even buy a vehicle without having it applied. You need to find somebody that knows what they are doing as it is applied inside the door skins, rockers, box cross members etc.

Just so you know, we have it touched up every year for about $75.00. Pretty cheap insurance.

Oh yeah, if you can find one those hooked shaped watering thingies that are used for watering hanging baskets, you can thread on an end, I use a massage type shower head, to spray the under carriage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. I do it with the front end uphill so the box and rails don't fill up with ice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Plain water will only rinse salt particles away, and won't really attack salt deposits without adding soap, but I like that sprinkler idea. I've been using a garden sprayer with a solution of "Salt-Away" to spray undercarriage after driving in sand and salt. Recently got a dispenser which you attach to a garden hose to apply the stuff in a premeasured amount. It dissolves salt and adds a protective coating which you can not see. I might try adding dispenser between hose and sprinkler and see how that works. Sounds crazy enough to work, and should save a lot of bending, stooping and reaching.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've had three vehicles rust-proofed with "AUTO ARMOR" I get the whole package, the rust proofing, and Teflon Paint Protectant, and fabric protectant. Costs between $300 & $500 depending on how hard You negotiate. Bright red paints don't fade, and even the frames stay rust-free on trucks for 7-8 years. Dealers that know what it is WILL allow more for trade-in's if they;re Auto Armor'd

·
Registered
292 Posts
I usually buy about 8 cans of semi gloss black paint and go to town on the undernieth of my truck.. It worked well so far on my toyota. I usually do it 2 times per year (spring and fall).
I spend the extra time hosing off the frame.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Never thought of the sprinkler trick for salt, too cold most days anyway. I usually just go to the 2-bit carwash and hose it off that way in winter.

The way I always used the sprinkler trick was in the summer after a mud run (I cannot tell a lie, got the idea from a 4-wheeler magazine). When I went home I put the sprinkler under my truck and went to bed. When I got up it usually had washed most of the mud off of the under side. But the biggest benefit was the mud that it didn't get was at least still wet and hadn't dried to a cinder block-like hardness.

I've got a 13hp, 3500PSI pressure washer and I'll hit the truck REALLY good in the spring. I'm talking 2 plus hours under the truck with a good fleet soap. My 96' 1 ton wasn't rustproofed and when I sold it last summer it looked like new on the bottom. The only rust problem I had is the passenger side door got some water in the bottom roll/pinch weld. It just bubbled the paint. I wire brushed it and used some Extend. Problem solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts