The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99.5 7.3 and always have to make an appt with my buddy who works at the local diesel shop to have my truck scanned. I would be really nice to do this myself if it doesent cost $1000s. I have heard of some guys talking about different scanners, but I want to make sure I get one that will do everything for this truck like the contribution test, buzz test and read all of the data stream stuff like HIPOP pressure. What do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RT thats well worth it. I plan on having this truck for many years to come and I want to be able to catch things before they get out of hand. Im a little paranoid about my truuck so being able to check things on a regular basis would give me a lot of peace of mind.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
RT's link is the best price, so don't bother searching anywhere else. I have been searching and trying to save for the SP01...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
X3 on AE.

Also, there is a gauge the monitors a lot as well. It is not as extensively detailed with the data, but it is always there if you need to get an idea what is going on. I mainly monitor boost, trans temp, oil temp, egt's, and ICP. It can also see converter slippage, IPR DC, injector pulse width, air intake temp...thats all I can remember. It can alo give you MPH conversion if you have different size tires, 0-60, and some other functions like that. You can see pics and video in my signature.

·
Registered
859 Posts
x4 5 6. I love my AE

·
Registered
71 Posts
If a well recommended mechanic tells me he hasn't heard of the AE, do you think he is still legit? I have taken mine to one, I have a starting problem and was talkin about my AE and he had never heard of it. Said he has a "top of the line scanner??"

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I wouldn't discount a mechanic for not knowing of a software program, if he has been used to a different protocol. When I was interviewing for P/T work in some of the local garages, they had never heard of AE either.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
AE is not really a shop tool. The other tools like MODIS, are better suited for a shop environment. That's probably why they have never heard of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Agreed. I work in a shop and we use Modis and IDS for Fords. Having never used an AE- is it capable of reflashing or reprogramming?

·
Super Moderator
25,617 Posts
Agreed. I work in a shop and we use Modis and IDS for Fords. Having never used an AE- is it capable of reflashing or reprogramming?
Not that I know of, although I believe it can change the speedo calibration.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Not that I know of, although I believe it can change the speedo calibration.
Check AE's website. IIRC you can purchase reprogramming software now. BIG $$ though when I was looking.

Answered on my iPhone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts