The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I have an opportunity to buy an 03' F350 7.3 4X4 extended cab long box for $1500.

I have worked on a 6.0 and an OBS 460 but I have never had a 7.3.

The problem with the situation is the last the family of the guy knew is it had motor issues.

Thats all they know about its situation, no symptoms, no description nothing.

Im going to look at it tomorrow and was wondering if you guys could give me some things to look for.

I looked inside and didn't notice a 6 position switch so im assuming it doesn't have a tune on it.

I know about the CPS but will this throw a code?

Will the HPOP system throw a code?

What else should I look for, I have a semi advanced code scanner but nothing that will show PID's, and a fairly well stocked tool box.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,600 Posts
A good scanner will help you find whatever is wrong with it, but for $1500 I wouldn't care if the motor was locked up with holes punched out the sides. The truck is worth much, much more than that. A donor motor will set you back several thousand dollars, but that truck could pull in 10 times what they are asking for it once you get it running.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Lots of programers and chips had no switch so lack of one means little. HPOP issues are rare. Bring a fully charged battery and see if it will start. Check the tranny fluid also. If both motor and tranny are bad might not be worth it.
DENNY

·
Registered
409 Posts
Buy it quickly before I can get there. We can help you find the problem once you get it home

·
Super Moderator
25,325 Posts
If it hasn't been on fire, buy it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Were are you located someone on here might have a scanner that can help you. I have one that that can do almost anything on these trucks. I would buy it sight unseen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So as an update,

I bought the truck today, but im in the wrong part of the forum. I got there and the seller had the wrong motor listed, no fault of hers it was her husband who passed.

It has a 6.0, but after a fresh set of batteries, it fired up and ran rough. I payed $1250 for it and still think I got a screaming deal.

·
Premium Member
14,600 Posts
Well, my condolences on it not being a 7.3, but the 6.0 has turned out to be a decent motor once you take care of the known issues. The 6.0 section has some really bright guys on it. The 2003 model had some extra flaws that are going to need to be taken care of, but nothing that will make getting a PowerStroke for $1250 a bad deal. Plus, you get a better transmission. You done good...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts