The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone enlighten me as to why the width of postings in the forums varies so much? Sometimes I can see the entire post and other times I need to scroll left and right to read the darn thing. Is it due to a setting on my computer or is from the original posters settings?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
On occasion a member will include a link within a post or the signature lines that is very long, say the actual URL written out. If the typed width of the URL is beyond your normal viewing width, the screen must be scrolled or widened to cover the URL's unbroken width.

The key to keeping viewed pages within the confines of the expected window sizes is for members to use named links instead of the actual URL address in the post or signature lines. Several posts have been made on "how to do it", and a testing forum exists so members can try to learn how. But not all members have learned how to do this yet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Having to side scroll is annoying, but now I'm seeing whole threads
that I can't get all of even by side scrolling. Can anyone tell this computer
dufus what the solution is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Point out those threads and we Moderators can likely fix them. The source is generally as posted above, ie. someone posted a long URL that won't "wrap," so the screen width stretches to accomodate it. It will affect an entire thread if viewed in "Flat" mode.

Like I said, point it out and we'll take care of it!

Best Regards,
Jay

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jay, I had that very problem several months ago and no one could/would fix it then. I didn't know where the problem was. Thought maybe it was on MY end and was trying to find out and was ignored.
Someone posted that someone had a signature too long. At the time I didn't know what he was saying. I guess none of the administrators did either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
Bottom line was I left the site for a while because it was just too hard to use. I couldn't print anything out because the right side of the page was missing. I got advice on how to print the whole thing but nothing seemed to work.
I'm glad the problem is finally reconized. Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW, what is "flat mode"??

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, what is "flat mode"??

[/ QUOTE ]

Scroll to the very top or bottom of this thread and notice buttons to do some things. One button is "flat mode" and another button is "Threaded".

Your homework assignment for today is to find a thread with more than about 20 replies, then read it in flat mode, then read it in threaded mode. Then report back here and tell us the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

A simple thread such as this one we're in won't give you the full impact of threaded mode.

·
Registered
325 Posts
WOW Smokey, I see the difference OK. I don't understand yet the "why" the threaded version is like it is. I'm not sure even how it works.

This is the version of the posts I'd get when we could get automatic e-mails when someone would post after us. I didn't understand them then either. I used to just find the latest post by the date/time stamp.

How come we can't check a box when we made a post and get an e-mail when someone answers or adds another post? We used to. I thought that was handy. It went away with the new system, I guess. Oh well....Larry

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, this post is one that I have problems with. The right side of the post is cut off in the middle of the "Quote" button on the top of the screen.

I can make the type smaller ( and fit into the width of my screen) by decreasing the size of the font in my viewer, but then I can hardly read what is in the left part of the screen.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Could it be related to the size of the poster's text box when they are making the first post???

P. S. I didn't have this problem before the latest upgrade of forum software.

JR

·
Registered
325 Posts
JR. Interesting. I know what your talking about but on MY screen its OK. I wonder if when I was having the problems I spoke of above if things were OK on their screen at the time and maybe thats why they thought I was nuts!! Hmmmmm? Or maybe things WERE screwed up when you made your post and were corrected before I read it and posted this.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gifmy head hurrrrts. Larry

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have the same problem as mentioned above. The posts are cute off in the middle of the "quote" button. I only have this problem on my computer at home. My computer at work displays everything fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I've tried deleting my cache and all temp int file, but nothing worked. Is there a way to fix this display problem?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Chris (cmichalik), since mine is still OK, sounds like its probably a setting on your computer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I don't think the cache or temp files have anything to do with it though. Sorry, not much help here. Is Smokey or Rex listening in?? Larry (aka:fatboy)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey, if Smokey or Rex do show up how 'bout answering another question maybe??

If we "right click" and "open in new window"... the window opens very narrow, maybe 1/2 screen. I can maximize it OK but it used to open already maximized or atleast full screen. How can we make it do this again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Also, sometimes threads open part way down the page...How come? and what can I do to to make it open at the top? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks again. Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Enquiring minds want to know!!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Can anyone answer the post width problem? This is very annoying. I do not think it is related to links. If there is a link that is too long I can still scroll right and left, is no link I don't have a scroll option because it is not generally needed.
I now have a problem as stated by others in which the very right edge is cut off, at about the quote link. It goes behind the normal scroll bar for up and down and judging by what is said on the next line I think it goes clean off the screen. This does not always happen and I have not yet figured out why it happens when it does. I am still working on that. Please give us some insight on this.
James

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Just so you know Jay this is "one of those posts." It is too wide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
James

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Sorry, but I can't duplicate the problem. If you're using a really old browser like Netscape 4.x, that might be it.

Jason

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jason,

That must be it, because I just went from Netscape 4.77 to 7.01 and now it is working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did read this post in the threaded view to see if I could learn anything, and found that it was Smokey Wren's post was the only post with the right side of the post cut off when in the threaded view. It was only in the flat view that everyone's was cut off.

I also notice that as I am posting this, now the text box I type into will word wrap, where the old software didn't word wrap, it just created a scroll bar on the bottom of this text box (and I generally hit carriage return when I went out of the text box). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

I sympathize with other members who have the right side of the screen cut off. I makes it very frustrating to not be able to read all of someone's post. (and I only dealt with it for a few days). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I don't know why it was related to the latest update of server software. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

JR

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Netscape 4.x is widely regarded by most web designers as one of the worst browsers ever. It wasn't standards-compliant, had really strange stylesheet support, and many other problems. Something in the recent update (all the forum code is now XHTML compliant) finally made it more than Netscape 4.x could handle.

Jason

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well that stinks. I don't think my comp can handle netscape 6, let a lone 7. I guess I will continue 'guessing' what the posts say on the end. Oh well. I have heard before 4.xx was bad but I never had the full idea until now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
James

PS> Something interesting: I read your new rules post in the events forum and it was fine. Read it here and it is too wide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find that my PC handles Netscape 7 BETTER than it handled Netscape 6. Since Netscape and Internet Explorer are free software, you could try either one at no risk to see which you prefer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts