The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ QUOTE ]
You cannot make another search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would someone please explain this to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
This makes me NUTS! might as well not even have a search feature.

If you mis-type somthing or search the wrong forum you're screwed! go grab a cup of coffee, and come back refresh and maybe you can search again... Probably not, if you have one of those fancy coffee makers at the office that makes individual flavored cups in a few seconds, then automaticly tosses away the "K-cup", in this case you need to go make a cheese sammich, and grab the news paper and proceed to the john for a stinky one, return and try again.

It really makes finding any useful information next to impossible when you're in a hurry, for example you need something you know you saw months ago on how to do somthing and your truck is tore apart.

·
Registered
292 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This makes me NUTS! might as well not even have a search feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...what a dorked configuration. This is the only place I frequent that has such a strict search requirement - makes the feature more useless than it was before the forum upgrades.

Oh, and in anticipation of the inevitable "use Google to search" followups - save your breath, Google searches are far inferior to native forum searches. Google can't search targeted forums, date ranges, and it returns results where the search string is in somebody's signature.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
The delay before you can search again is only 60 seconds or so. So get a kitchen timer set on one minute, and as soon as you finish a search, turn on the timer. Surely you can find something to do during that 60 seconds on a multi-tasking PC with Windows XP. I have a few games I enjoy, so I usually change windows and play a game for that 60 seconds.

But yeah, I liked it much better under the previous version of UBBThreads.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
It is a trade-off. We used to get complaints that you couldn't search all the forums at once. The reason that was removed was that it is very resource intensive on the servers. We added that option back, but limited searches to every 60 seconds to help with the server load.

Jason

·
Registered
711 Posts
As mentioned you will usually get better results using Google or Alta Vista.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The search engine works fine for anything I have ever searched for. You have to use the advanced options to narrow things down though. If you do not use the advanced options, I agree that it does not work very well.

Jason

·
Registered
226 Posts
With respect, the search feature here is the worst I have ever seen. 60 second timeout? I help run ntfu2.com, and we have us a lot of GD searches going on at any given time. The forums don't even hiccup.

Oh well...

·
Registered
907 Posts
The new search is fine; I love the possibility to check all forums at once. However, I would like to see a search pic by user option and a better narrowing down in the user list. No idea how easy this would be to do?

Jim

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is there a way to STOP a search from the user's side? More than often I make a mistake; e.g. searching for 8 instead of 2 years and then I have to wait the minute until my next try. Not a big issue but I frequently run into that hing.

Jim

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The site you referred to has less total posts than we have in one forum. If this site was that small, it would not be a problem here either. It is a problem of scale.

Jason

·
Registered
292 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The site you referred to has less total posts than we have in one forum. If this site was that small, it would not be a problem here either. It is a problem of scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feh...plenty of sites far larger than this don't have the same search limitations.

As of this morning, big-boards.com ranks TDS at position 305. Of the 300+ sites larger, 6 run UBB. Of those, I sampled a few, and none have the same search limitations as here - they all allow unlimited forum-wide searches, without a ridiculous 60 second timeout.

That being said, of those UBB boards I did perform forum-wide searches on, they were painfully slow. So yes - it's probably a good idea to keep the limitation in place as long as TDS is running UBB.

However, as has been pointed out several times, the real problem is not one of size or scale. It's the choice of forum software; UBB is horribly inefficient, which explains the tiny percentage of large sites that run it. 2 out of the top 100 sites are UBB.

Try searching on any of the phpBB or vBulletin sites in the top 100 - these sites dwarf TDS in size, and the majority have zero problem with forum-wide searches.

You've stated before you like UBB - which is fine, your site, your choice. It's just innaccurate to suggest that choice doesn't play a large part in the search problems that are routinely reported here.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The next version is already in beta and reports are that the search engine is incredibly faster and more accurate.

Also, vBulletin has some strange search problems too. It seems to have a limitation that won't allow search terms of 3 letters or less. This is really bad on an automotive site. I visit some Mustang sites that use it and cannot search for 289 engines, T5 transmissions, etc. It is very frustrating.

Jason

·
Registered
292 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to have a limitation that won't allow search terms of 3 letters or less. This is really bad on an automotive site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...but that's due to an administrative decision by the board owner, or simply installing with the default value (minimum 4, I believe.) The minimum search length is configurable, and I've seen sites where it's set to 3 - makes much more sense, albeit at the expense of a larger db index.

Good to hear UBB is devoting some coding time to the search issues...other than that, I've no real complaint with software.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Threads: 5,022, This Month: 185 Up (3%)
Members: 6,897, This Month: 155 Up (155%)

Yeah, it does have less posts than this forum. Problem is, ntfu2 has only been up for a little over 7 months, as opposed to 7 years like tds has been.

Now guess how many of those 6,897 members are dues paid members. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (hint - a LOT). But enough boasting.

As BratMan said, vBulletin can be set up to search as little as one letter in the vB options under Search Options. Additionally, vB supports Wildcards. I don't know if ubb does, never tried it.

And as he further said, "You've stated before you like UBB - which is fine, your site, your choice. It's just innaccurate to suggest that choice doesn't play a large part in the search problems that are routinely reported here. ", I agree with him.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
We have over 3 million posts if you include our archives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Also, we are now over 9 years old!

UBB is a choice for sure. I have installed every major forum software out there over the years, I still prefer UBB and the support I get from Infopop though.

Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts