The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope that this helps someone who has a coolant in oil issue with no oil in coolant
Just found this thread by googling "water in oil". I also have no oil in coolant, so thanks for the info.
I'm wondering about the outcome after it was all back together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Due to the overwhelming interest this thread has generated... :lol:

After further, careful inspection, it appears that my front cover gasket has failed. The HPOP AND the fuel bowl was leaking slightly on the gasket and may have been partly responsible for turning it to what can only be described as mush. Engine was coolant sludge free except for the valve covers and a line running down the block/inside of front cover where the mushed gasket and silicone was located. If someone puked mayonaise on a wall and let it run down, that's basically what it looked like. Other potential contributor to the problem of the mushed gasket was a rusted out ebps tube; it only rusted through in one spot - and that spot was such that it jetted a nice 3/8" stream of hot exhaust gasses at the same part of the front cover/gasket which failed. Coolant was also developing sludge on top of the very front of the oil pan baffle directly below where this coolant leak would have been.

I feel fairly confident this was the problem, and am thus re-assembling the engine w/ various new parts in anticipation of reinstallation.

I hope that this helps someone who has a coolant in oil issue with no oil in coolant - check your front cover gasket. More importantly, if you live in a salt use climate, check your ebps tube regularly for corrosion as I think this may have been the most significant factor in the gasket failure; coupled with the oil saturation from inside and out the intense heat destroyed the gasket. Because of the ample silicone the factory put around the outside of the timing cover (silicone withstood the heat better than the rubber material perhaps?) the leak did not show up externally.
I know it's been along time since you posted this update and hopefully your problem was fixed. I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts. Was it the front cover deal leaking violent into the oil pan?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts