The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to need my third belt in just over 6 months. The cord comes apart and turns a 7(?) rib belt into a 6 rib. Always on the side closest to the radiator. Everything seems to be running true. No slop. Not sure if this causes it but it ends up one rib over on the a/c pulley. I don't know if this is causing it or if it happens after the fact. Anyone have any experience or suggestions on fixing this

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I suspect your tensioner joint has play in it. Causes an ever so slight misalignment. I would pull the belt, check for up and down play on the ps pump and water pump. Make sure all the others spin freely. Replace the tensioner and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like pulleys are cheaper than the belt. Hope to replace all. Jumping the a/c pulley is the weird one though

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
If the tensioner joint is slightly loose, it will tilt the pulley just enough to throw the belt off center track. That may be why it is riding up on the a/c pulley. Have you had the a/c or alternator off recently? Or PS for that matter. Those are all bolted on so you wouldn't think they would be out of alignment, but you may have one tilted if debris got on the mounting plate. A loose water pump bearing will also cause a tilt, but it's so far away from the a/c I don't think that's it.

The idler pulley (and the ones on the tensioner) can be rebuilt with a 6203 (Timken 203) bearing. In your case, the joint of the tensioner is probably loose, so I would go ahead and replace that, but if you get a 203 bearing you can redo your idler at the same time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that tip. Good to have in toolbox for long roadtrips

·
Registered
65 Posts
The gap between the movable and stationary parts of the tensioner shouldnt be more than a 3/16 inch. I have put a big bar against the outside of the tensioner and pushed in. If it moves in a whole bunch the tensioner is worn out. I have seen wrong alternator pulleys cause all kinds of belt shredding. Usually happens after the alt is replaces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts