The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2003 E450 7.3L Super Duty 5-window short bus
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall.

I have a 2003 e450 with the 7.3L. I changed out the compressor pulley cause the bearing was going bad but now the belt is wanting to drift off of the vacuum pulley. I didn't realize this until I tore up 2 belts within 10 miles. I pulled the pulley off 3 times now inspecting it, making sure it's bottomed out and haven't figured out what's happening. I've also just last week put a new complete tensioner and middle idler (between alternator and compressor). All other pulleys spin smoothly, no wobbling. The new belt that's currently on it you can actually see its wearing prematurely on the outer edge. I'm going to put the old pulley back on it tomorrow to see if maybe the new one is defective somehow.

Anybody have any ideas what could have happened? Thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
Sounds like the pully may be pressed on too far.

Get a long straight edge that you can place across the face of the pullies to see where you have the problem

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the pully may be pressed on too far.

Get a long straight edge that you can place across the face of the pullies to see where you have the problem

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
Appreciate the response but I don't think that's a possibility. It has a snap ring so if I didnt press it on all the way then the snap ring wouldn't be secure.

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
There is something that you did that has your compressor pulley out of alignment with the others, and since that is what was changed odds are that is where the problem is.

Most of the time when the groves on the pulley is the problem there will be 7 groves when there are suppose to be 8

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turned out the new pulley was about an 1/8 of an inch thicker than stock. Can't find just a pulley anywhere though. Looks like everybody sells those clutch assembly. Would anybody know if it's the same compressor as the f-series?

· Registered
125 Posts
How do you mean the pulley is 1/8 thicker? OD? or from the edge to where the first V is? Pulley on to far? Or is the pulley not far enough on. Does the pulley have an offset to it like a car rim and needs to be installed the other way?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts