The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have recommendations for good truck service ramps for my F350? I'm not thinking Rhinos are really up to the task, and I'm not ready to spend $600 for aluminum semi truck ramps. Short of laminating 2x12's, what else to do?

I see Race Ramp HD's tested with a semi at 10,000# on their 5,000# set with no issue, but my 2013 F350 must be pushing 5k on the front axle?

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
I'm not up on the weights of the new trucks but what I would do is to go to a scale and weigh just the front end, then you will have something to actually go by.

On my 96 I am using some ramps that my dad bought over 30 years ago so I have no idea of what their rating is but they handle my truck just fine and show no evidence of being stressed.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
Lucky you. I rolled up on my 30 year old ramps and crushed them flat...

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
I've wondered every time that I use them but when I check them out they look just fine. I have no idea of where he picked them up at but he used them to work on his Dodge station wagon. If I were a betting man I would say that he got them at Sears, he bought everything at Sears when it was a decent hardware store.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
A little off-topic but do any of you guys use one of those platforms that hooks over your front wheel and allows you to stand taller over the engine compartment?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
Nick has this one -

He gave me the link the last injector cup job I did. I sure wish I'd had it - I am SO sick of stepstools sliding out from under me when I have to reach for something.

I can't find the picture, but Nick also had this really cool platform he built. Looks like a deck about 2 feet off the ground. Its shaped such that you drive your truck into it and then you can walk around on the deck and get to all sides of the hood. Another great idea for anyone whose POA won't kick them out for building it...

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
I keep debating on buying a topside creeper from Northern Tools. If you watch the sales that they have it will be as low as $189. A member on here or another forum made one out of 2x4's and foam rubber. If you have the equipment to do it you also could use some square metal tubing and be into it less than $100 I believe.

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
I think I saw one of those topside creepers in my chiropractors office ;-)

For now I am using 5-gallon buckets on the ground and those quilted moving blankets when I have climbed up top.

Thanks
I used to climb right into the engine compartment with my feet one the fenders while I sat on the radiator. There was nothing that I couldn't do while in there like that on the top of the motor. Now days there is way too much stuff stuck all over the compartment to even think of doing it that way.

I'll see if I can finds the pictures of the creeper that the guy made out of wood.

Here is a link to the thread on the guy that made one out of wood and it has a material list if you want to build one.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Should I have posted on topside creepers to get responses on ramps?
:lol::lol: I'm with you on that one, Smokewagon. I was hoping for some input too. I haven't done a search yet, but I wouldn't mind picking up a set for my F-250. I've got a set for my later model 1/2 ton but I didn't research if the same company makes stronger ones for a diesel pickup. Mine appear to be made out of the poly whatever, similar to the plastic (wrong name, I know) that they're making some of the auto pistol frames out of nowadays.

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
It isn't that hard to find service ramps that would work for your truck. You can get them as large or heavy duty as you would like. Here is a one set that I doubt that would collapse under your truck.

Here is another set that may be closer to your price range.

You can get them in all sizes and inbetween.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
Holy you know what. Did you look through the reviews on that Amazon set? The guy that posted pictures of what his Tundra did to the ramps. Ain't no way I'm sliding under a truck that weighs what mine does sitting on plastic ramps. I like that first set, but I'm not paying that for a set of ramps. I'll stick to my 15 ton jack stands....

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
Holy you know what. Did you look through the reviews on that Amazon set? The guy that posted pictures of what his Tundra did to the ramps. Ain't no way I'm sliding under a truck that weighs what mine does sitting on plastic ramps. I like that first set, but I'm not paying that for a set of ramps. I'll stick to my 15 ton jack stands....
I like the post in his review of them. It looks like he drove over the top of them and then partially off of them.

One thing that anyone should know that anything can and will fail if you don't use it properly or abuse it in some way. If all else fails use a jack and jack stands but then people give out bad reviews on jack stands also.

By the way I just threw up two sets on a quick search that I did since the OP wasn't getting any suggestions on service ramps.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
I know and it was appreciated. I lost an uncle to a failed jack / stand. I've got a healthy fear of sliding under something that heavy. I looked at the 16k rated ramps by the same manufacturer and the reviews there showed pictures of crushed stands too. I'm not convinced anything plastic is going to hold up.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Oh. :lol:

My apologies.

Have you ever considered buiding a "grease pit" into your garage floor?

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
Any set of ramps or jack stands can fail, that is where the people that are using them need to inspect them before and after every use but very few do. I do know that on the ones that I have been using for over 30 years now that I do look them over after every use and when done with them they are stored in a dry garage. Perhaps one day I'll have to replace them.

Have you ever considered buiding a "grease pit" into your garage floor?
If I ever built and home and garage I would consider putting one in, but then I don't know how much longer I'll enjoy working on my own vehicle. Even now I'll farm out some repairs just for the reason that I don't want to fight certain things anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
Hmm. Where I am, the water table is so shallow I'd be wading around in the pit. Sure would be nice to have that and a 4 post lift (and a garage tall enough to accommodate it.) Someday....

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Something's wrong somewhere, I have a set I have been using on my heavy 4WD 1/2 ton Tundra and they're less capacity than those shown. Been using them since 2007 with no problem.

Thanks, Bugman, after I weigh my front end on the highway truck scales I think I'll order those Amazon ones, they look like they'd do. My '91 F-250 weighs 6230# including 3 dogs, but I don't know what just the front end weighs.
One thing that anyone should know that anything can and will fail if you don't use it properly or abuse it in some way.
Yep, I've worked with a few guys who could break an anvil. :)

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
It isn't that hard to find service ramps that would work for your truck. You can get them as large or heavy duty as you would like. Here is a one set that I doubt that would collapse under your truck.

Here is another set that may be closer to your price range.

You can get them in all sizes and inbetween.
I would probably buy a couple cans of spray foam and fill in the cavities on the underside of those Rhinos.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts