The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...Please help if you can. I have a 1997 F350 4x4 with the 7.3TD. I went to move it the other day. Started it, let it run for a minute or so, then drove about 30 yards to the end of the driveway to turn around. The truck stumbled really bad and died. I could get it to restart but it stumbled so bad I had to hold my foot on the pedal to get it to run/move. I got it back down the drive and let it die. I had a buddy's code reader and scanned the truck. It came up with P0344. I went down to Ford and bought # F7TZ-12K073-A. I installed it yesterday and no change. I've had it plugged in all day and a battery charger on it as well. The truck will start and run for about 3 sec, then the check eng light comes on and it fights itself to run, then dies. I had to return the first scanner so I couldn't re-scan, but my same buddy brought over his snap on scanner (different from first) from work and these are the codes it threw out. we wrote them down, erased them, started the truck again same thing stumble/die. It then put out the same codes:

P1280 ICP out of range (I unplugged it and tried to start, no change)
P0344 CPS
P1783 Trans overtemp cond
P0475 Exhaust Pressure control valve (this is disconnected)
P0605 Int Cont Mod Rom error (I have a chip on it?)
P0267 Cyl 3 Injector curcuit low

Please point me in the right direction. As usual, I dont have a lot of money to throw at it. Thanks Again! Kevin

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would start at the cam sensor. Unplug it and test it with a multimeter set on ohms and see what the resistance is. Might be covered under the recall for them if it has never been changed.

·
Registered
10,716 Posts
If you have a chip in it, I would completely remove it and see if it starts. If there are no problems after that you may just have needed to reseat the chip. Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...Yes, first thing I did was replace the cps with PN f7tz-12k073-b. The one I had in there was an autozone special. I also pulled the chip and didnt replace. No change.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you checked the valve cover injector harness?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Wrencher...I have. I came up with the following numbers:
First test was red probe on battery ground, and black probe attached to paperclip inserted into each port.

1) 2.18 2) 2.16
3) 2.13 4) 2.20
5) 2.16 6) 2.15
7) 2.12 8) 2.11

For this test I moved the red probe from batt neg to common on each harness plug:

1) 2.12 2) 2.13
3) 2.07 4) 2.18
5) 2.09 6) 2.14
7) 2.06 8) 2.11

I then checked all of the FI and they ohmed out to 2.8-3.6 for all eight. Thanks again! Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New development tonight. I put everything back together and tried to start. I had it plugged in for about an hour, and had a batt charger on the same time. I had read on another post to unplug the map sensor so I tried that. Same as before...crank, crank,crank, start on all 8, stumble die. This time the cel stayed on. I went out, and plugged map sensor back in, same thing but cel now off. Tried several times..same thing. The last time when it fired I gave it fuel and it stumbled for a little bit, then cleared up! I left it run for 15-20 min occasionally revving the motor, shutting it off, restarting. Everything seemed fine. I got brave and decided to take it down the street. Started down the hill o.k. then when I let off the acc, the motor stumbled, and the cel light came on. I put it in neutral and fed it fuel, while I turned around in a parking lot. Back up the hill, foot to the floor, stumbling, bumbling, fumbling at 10mph in low...started to pick up speed, shifted to 2nd, still stumbling...got to driveway and went to neutral, and let off acc, cel light went out and truck returned to all cylinders. shut it off, start no prob several times. Let cool down for about an hour and went out now and started and intermittent stumble is back...What the heck. I plugged it in again and will try again later. Thanks again...Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,798 Posts
Do you have any way to check fuel pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can search for one tomorrow. What is a good pressure? Thanks for the reply...Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree check the fuel pressure or the fuel pump in the valley behind the filter bowl. Inspect the fuel lines coming off the pump for leaks or dry rot, sounds like losing fuel pressure or getting air into the system. Also you may want to take the top off of the fuel filter housing after it dies and see if it is full of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jeff9631...I actually took the top off of the fuel bowl when it first happened. Filter and bowl were full. I was thinking about getting a new filter tomorrow, when I check on a fuel press gauge. When I push on the schradder valve it spits at me. I'll see what I can find tomorrow. Thanks again...Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys...I got busy with work today and didnt get a fuel pressure reading. I will work on it tomorrow... But...Tonight!!!

Another new development... I figured since I can make the truck run, (although badly...it still runs) I would have my buddy come back with his scanner and check it running. We first scanned it KOEO...the following code were gone:

P1280 ICP
P1783 Trans Over Temp Condition
P0605 Removed Chip

We then checked the memory codes and found these:

P0603 (new)
P0344 (same) Although CPS Was Replaced
P0237 (new)

We then checked current codes and found these:

P0475 (same) Disconnected
P0267 (same) Cyl 3 Injector Circuit Low

We then scanned with the KOER and came up with a new code:

P0476 Exhause Pressure Control Valve Perform.

This was scanned with a Snap-on Sloice Ultra if anyone is familiar. Thanks again!! Kevin

·
Registered
238 Posts
did you check to make sure your valve cover gasket pigtails were not burnt. the uvc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks DaveH for the reply. All my plugs look good except, the glow plug ports. Some seem pretty burnt. I dont think Ive had functioning glow plugs for quite a while now, but didnt think the two were related.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O.K. I found this test last night when I was reading some other threads, so I gave it a try:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...5&d=1278472409

Test 1: All circuits ohm out to 2.9...sweet!
Test 2: 23 & 26 Left Bank Power feed to IDM Ground Circuit (26) open...sweet
Test 2: 24 & 26 Right Bank Power Feed to IDM Ground Circuit (26)...2.0 ouch!
Test 3: ALL OPEN...sweet!

So Im guessing as per the directions, I need to get under the pass side VC and replace the wireing and VCG. Now...the big question, did I fry the IDM? Thanks for the help! Kevin

·
Registered
10,716 Posts
Probably not. Replace the UVCHs that you found bad and go from there. Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well...I got the valve cover off today. What a mess. The uvch for the 1 & 3 cylinders was welded to the gasket. Reusable gasket my behind. lol... I ohmed the GP's while I was in there and came up with: 1) .41 3) .42 5) .99 7) 0. I ordered a gp with my other stuff and will replace #7. Is the GP a simple R&R I hope? Also...the plug going into the 1&3 cyl VC looked like there is a gp issue as the plug looked like it had gotten hot and brittle. Same with one on the drivers side as well. Should I replace the plug over there as well, or do I need to remove the VC and inspect as well? Thanks again guys for all your help. I couldn't have gotten through this without you! Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.k. I changed my mind...I decided to replace all the gp's and reconnect them. (Was going to run without them.) So to recap: Replaced pass side vcwh, 4gp, and the plug for cyl 1 & 3.
Replaced drivers side 4gp, and plug for cyl 6 & 8. Replaced chip in PCM. Re installed IDM and attempted to fire off of Gp's. Truck wouldn't start. Plugged in block heater and battery charger for 2 hrs still no start. Disconnected Gp's at GPR and hit with either. Truck started, but wont run on all 8. Pulled chip, restart, same. Pulled IDM and performed ohm test on harness.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...5&d=1278472409

For test 1 all my readings came in at around 1.8 or so instead of 2.8-3.6 (pass I guess)
For test 2 both came in at infifnty (pass)
For test 3 23 & 18 Left Bank Power Feed to Injector Ground Shield (18) came in at 1.8 instead of infinity (fail)
For test 3 24 & 18 Right Bank Power Feed to Injector Ground Shield (18) came in at infinity. (pass)

So do I have a problem with the ground? I didnt have this problem before, (see earlier posts) so it's most likely in the plug I changed correct? Please help when you can! Thanks...Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I unplugged both on drivers side and got the same reading at the IDM. I had rewired the plug for cyl 6 & 8 yesterday and it was a little longer than it was originally. I just stuffed it under the turbo inlet. I pulled the plug and ran it over the inlet tube and got an infinity reading. Put it all back together and fired it up! Drove it around the block, and even made it back. I called it a night for tonight, but tomorrow i'll get out there and re-wrap that harness, and possibly reconnect the GP at the GPR and see how that goes! Thank you Guys for all your help!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts