The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get some last night at Wally and noticed the gallon jogs were only filled to about 3 1/2 qts. I asked the supervisor about it and he said" Oh they fill these by weight, not by volume" Has anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oil is sold by volume not weight. On the container it specifies volume.

I never experienced a container that under filled. Perhaps those containers were purchased drained and then refilled with a cheaper oil and returned back to the store.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
How do you know they were 3.5 qts?

By the marks molded into the jugs?

Were the jugs possibly expanded out? That would make the oil level appear lower.

By the time I get plastic oil jugs to my home at 8,300' the plastic has usually distorted so I never go by the small marks.

I highly doubt anyone would tamper/steal from oil jugs.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Maybe you were looking at the litre hash marks. One gallon is 3.8 L.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
How do you know they were 3.5 qts?

By the marks molded into the jugs?

Were the jugs possibly expanded out? That would make the oil level appear lower.

By the time I get plastic oil jugs to my home at 8,300' the plastic has usually distorted so I never go by the small marks.

I highly doubt anyone would tamper/steal from oil jugs.
Do not underestimate the levels some will stoop to.. In general i buy about 60 one gallon jugs of oil from the local walmart every year, and about the same amount from a local farm supply, only in 2 gallon jugs.. In the last 5 years i have found about 6 jugs of t-6 rotella that have been opened.. Not sure as to wether the cap simply tore the seal when being twisted off [sticking], which has happened to me on some oil brands, but never t-6, i decided to check the oil a little closer.. Sure enough the oil in those jugs didnt smell, or have the same color as the t-6 i have been using for the last 10 years..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Simple test....if the twist cap ring seal is broken, don't buy it. The Walmart dude is lying to you, or doesn't have a clue about the products he sells. Oil is and always been sold by volume.

I have heard that some will refill with used product and return to Wally World for refund. They don't check the caps to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Simple test....if the twist cap ring seal is broken, don't buy it. The Walmart dude is lying to you, or doesn't have a clue about the products he sells. Oil is and always been sold by volume.

I have heard that some will refill with used product and return to Wally World for refund. They don't check the caps to my knowledge.
In general your simple test statement is accurate, but i have had some that the ring would not break.. Then there is the whole other subject of different brands, and the fact some dont have the ring seal.. In the end it's simply buyer beware, and knowing the product you purchase.. Sad but true..

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Do not underestimate the levels some will stoop to.. In general i buy about 60 one gallon jugs of oil from the local walmart every year, and about the same amount from a local farm supply, only in 2 gallon jugs.. In the last 5 years i have found about 6 jugs of t-6 rotella that have been opened.. Not sure as to wether the cap simply tore the seal when being twisted off [sticking], which has happened to me on some oil brands, but never t-6, i decided to check the oil a little closer.. Sure enough the oil in those jugs didnt smell, or have the same color as the t-6 i have been using for the last 10 years..
Exact same thing happened to me.
Someone dumped out the new oil and dumped back in the old oil and returned the oil.
So now, I always remove the cap and ensure the foil seal is still in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts