The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 92 Ford F-350 2wd dually. After Market Banks turbo. 200k miles. Runs Beautiful. Truck is...... well....ugly. This is my first time working with and owning an older (non computer) diesel. Which I need a heavy duty truck because I haul tons of steel. The truck handles the heavy load with ease.
I have been told that I’m not running my rpms up high enough through the gears. Not by one trust worth guy yet by 3. I had a buddy of mine which is also an awesome diesel mechanic/tech, Drive my truck on one of my heavier trips, and I swear I thought he was going to blow the damn thing up. He was screaming the piss out of this engine . This just can not be right.
He told that these older idi’s are designed to be shift at a higher RPM.
When I was younger my pops taught me to drive trucks (simi trucks) in California. he taught me in his 1980 Kenworth 8v92 twin turbos and a supercharger duel straight pipes. Locked up to a 8 speed. Old man used too haul jet fuel 80,000lbs up the grapevine at 66mph. No joke. When shift the KW he’d scream that thing till your ear wax flowed out of your ears and were ringing. End of the day. You heard nothing. Sorry off track.
So this is what Im relating it too because this is what it sounded like when my buddy was driving my pickup.
Now that’s through the gears, crusing at about 65 mph sounds comfortable for the Engine. 70 sounds like I’m pushing it and screaming a little more than it should. I can’t get the rpm gauge to work nor an aftermarket gauge so I’m going all off how the engine sounds.
Any advice tI’ll I can find my rpm gauge issue Fixed?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Wind it up tight enough to grab the next gear without lugging it. Eventually you will figure out where the engine is comfortable with the load. The heavier the load, the tighter you'll need to wind it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wind it up tight enough to grab the next gear without lugging it. Eventually you will figure out where the engine is comfortable with the load. The heavier the load, the tighter you'll need to wind it up.
Good, practical, advise! For reference, the 7.3 naturally aspirated engine produces max torque at 1400 rpm and max horsepower at 3000 rpm.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts