The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for shock replacement on my 2000 7.3 with 4WD.

Not sure which shocks are on there now but the vehicle has 225,000 miles with 99% in town and highway driving. Current tires are 285/75/16.

I see that shocks from the dealer are very reasonable at approx. $55 each and wondering if there's any value on this rig in installing something different.

As always, your feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've got Rancho 9000 adjustable on the 00 X and they are horrible, big waste of money. One failed within a few months and now all four won't adjust. The 02 X has Bilstein shocks and they are very good shocks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got Rancho 9000 adjustable on the 00 X and they are horrible, big waste of money. One failed within a few months and now all four won't adjust. The 02 X has Bilstein shocks and they are very good shocks.
I agree on the Rancho shocks - I've had 3 or 4 sets on various vehicles over the years and was always dealing with some sort of issue.

Which model of Bilstein's are you running? I have 5100's on my F350 SD and they have run great on my hunting trips, but I was trying to save a few bucks for the Excursion given that it is primarily a city vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't find yourself complaining with the MC shocks. But if you just have to change, read this thread:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f122/need-shocks-4x4-551201/
Steve - I trust you are referring to Motorcraft?

I just spoke to Bilstein and they said they do not make 5100's for the rear of a stock Excursion. Consistent with the link, Bilstein states the 5100 is geared to fit lifted applications and they specifically recommend the 4600 series for a stock application.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it turns out, the old Monroe Reflex shocks that were installed who knows how long ago are still in very good condition.

If they were Rancho's they would all have been shot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts