The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it new tranny time, for the last thousand miles my trans has started to shift harder aslo when puting it in gear it takes a few seconds to engage then last night i lost gear 3 and 4 (od light flashing) i had to drive it home in second it reached 200 on the temps should i start pulling what do you think,thanks

· Registered
1,315 Posts
No tranny expert here, but it sure sounds like it. If the OD light was flashing there should be codes stored. Get them pulled it could be just a solenoid, but it doesn't sound like it.
Joe

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Try the super chips. Just try not to erase the codes when you finish. These codes could also be stored in another place (as they are transmission codes) and you may need different reader to get them. I would try the super chips first.
Joe

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i hooked the tuner up and no codes (well the same ones it always pulls P0603 P0113) so i took it out for a drive to get the od light to flash again but it seemed to shift ok even 3rd and overdrive ,but last night with the boat hooked up it would not lockup or shift past 2nd could it be it only slips when a load or heat is applied

· Registered
6,005 Posts
Just cut the floor boards out and you can be like Fred Flintstone!! lol!! Time to call Woods or BTS!!

· Registered
212 Posts
Were I you, I would give John Wood a call pronto! Ask him what's going on, and he will give you straight answers. You are in the West, so that's where I would head should it turn out you need to have it replaced.

Here is a link to his website http://jwtt.com/

Best of luck,

Richard

· Registered
857 Posts
It sounds intermitted which usually is not total tranny failure. In the past have seen posts were electrical things fail and can be replaced without tranny replacement.

Had a tranny loose second gear but never saw the OD light flash once in the thousand miles I drove skipping from first to third. When the motor red lined I'd let off and the tranny would jump to third the Ford tranny tech said. Lots of metal in the fluid led to a replacement from Ford for just under $2,000. 160K miles on the rebuilt and it still shifts nice even with the unknown programmer at 22 psi!

Good luck and hopefully it can be fixed rather than replaced. The Excursion is still trucking hard with 174K miles on the original tranny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.