The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advise as to the type os adhesives to use on side of 2015 super duty. I think the is some kind of tape now but do not want to remove the complete molding if I don't have to.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
If you are talking about body side moldings on the doors, yes, they are applied with a thin double-sided adhesive tape. I have yet to see anyone effectively "repair" one without completely removing it. To get any adhesive to stick properly the molding and the door surfaces must be absolutely clean. I am of the opinion that removing the molding to remove the adhesive tape and prep the surfaces for new tape to be applied or replace the molding outright is the BEST repair. However, if you are insistent on trying a repair, 3M makes several contact adhesives that may work. They are usually in spray cans - you can spray some in a container and neatly apply it with a small brush and wait the appropriate amount of time (see the product instructions) for it to dry and tack up before pressing the molding to the door.

Hope this hels and good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ford_doctor for your remarks. Can any good body shop do the job or just and go to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Either. I have done a few at the dealer over the years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I cheaped out.Found a store that does "Wraping" they too said "best to replace the the molding complete",BUT did sell me the 3M double side tape and a bottle of Rapid Remover (one quart) www.rapidtac.com Did as told clean good and put on strips in place taped down with blue masking tape,let set for two days. Will report after a few washes.
Thank again
P.S. Total cost $65.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts